Wondering about breeds of two of my chicks

phat chick

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Pasadena, CA
These are the three chicks I'm raising. I'm hoping some of you can tell me what breeds they are. I know one of them is barred rock, but I don't know about the other two. They're going on 4 weeks now. I do plan on updating this thread with more pictures once they're more feathered out. Thank you!

I'm wondering specifically about the brown one (shown in the last two pictures), and the black one with the white butt.

Here is another picture of them taken a week and a half ago.

Any ideas?

You have a Barred Rock (the barred one) and it looks male to me (lighter color barring, no black leg wash in front of legs, comb already more pronounced);

A Black Star female (sex linked bird...a hybrid cross between a barred female and a non-barred, usually red based roo that creates 1st generation chicks that are "color coded"....no white dot on head means female). Black Stars/Black Sexlinks are excellent layers of light brown eggs, curious and friendly,

The brown one is probably a Welsummer girl (strong eyeliner and strong head mark indicate girl in Welsummer chicks...good layers of dark brown eggs). However, that chipmunk pattern could also be a Brown Leghorn (either sex...too early to tell) or it might be a Speckled Sussex (either sex, too early to tell) however typically Speckled Sussex have beige/white legs not yellow. (Hatchery birds can vary from standard so I leave it in as a possibility).

If the brown one develops white earlobes with gold neck and partridge back, it will be a Brown Leghorn. If it develops a salmon chest, with the partridge back, gold neck, and red earlobes, it is a Welsummer hen. If it begins to get big white dots and sort of chestnut coloring overall, it is a Speckled Sussex.

Nice chicks.

Good luck with your new flock.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
You have a Barred Rock (the barred one) and it looks male to me (lighter color barring, no black leg wash in front of legs, comb already more pronounced);

A Black Star female (sex linked bird...a hybrid cross between a barred female and a non-barred, usually red based roo that creates 1st generation chicks that are "color coded"....no white dot on head means female). Black Stars/Black Sexlinks are excellent layers of light brown eggs, curious and friendly,

The brown one is probably a Welsummer girl (strong eyeliner and strong head mark indicate girl in Welsummer chicks...good layers of dark brown eggs). However, that chipmunk pattern could also be a Brown Leghorn (either sex...too early to tell) or it might be a Speckled Sussex (either sex, too early to tell) however typically Speckled Sussex have beige/white legs not yellow. (Hatchery birds can vary from standard so I leave it in as a possibility).

If the brown one develops white earlobes with gold neck and partridge back, it will be a Brown Leghorn. If it develops a salmon chest, with the partridge back, gold neck, and red earlobes, it is a Welsummer hen. If it begins to get big white dots and sort of chestnut coloring overall, it is a Speckled Sussex.

Nice chicks.

Lady of McCamley
I agree.

Nice chicks.

Lady of McCamley
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm interested to see how they develop.

I'm open to the possibility that the barred rock is male, but the real life coloring seems a little darker than the photos, which were taken in strong sunlight. There also is a slight black wash down the legs but it's not very prominent. Will update with more photos, hopefully soon. :)

Last edited:
LL

Looks live a Barred Rock
LL

Welsummer (no expert on welsummers) I could be wrong

The brown one looks like an americauna

Good point...True it is possible for it to be an Easter Egger as they are often chipmunk as chicks (like my avatar bird which is a Wyandotte /EE mix) but it won't be an Ameraucana as it doesn't have slate colored legs or beard and muff so its already off standard for that (and partridge is not an accepted color which it appears to be headed for).

However I doubted Easter Egger as it does not have green legs or beard or muff...though EE's can be without those and have yellow legs as they are hybrids with any breed on one side and Ameraucana or Araucana on the other...however hatcheries know people buy EE's for the blue/green colored eggs so they attempt to have enough Ameraucana in them for that, which brings in the green legs and beards and muffs...usually.

Time will tell. If it doesn't follow one of the other breeds as it feathers out and develops a pea comb or beard or muff it will be an EE...or simply over colors as EE's will have bolder colors and stronger patterns...but I'm not seeing that...yet.

Lady of McCamley

The brown one looks 100% like the Americauna chicks they sell near me. They will develop their beard/muff later on. Look up pictures of older Godzilla movies, your bird will be a brown verions of that in 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom