Wondering about feeding my chickens and egg production.

Pcgirly

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Hi everybody,

I recently got my chickens and there are 6 hens, but I only get 4 eggs a day which leads me to believe that 2 ladies are not producing. I know nothing about chickens and asked a friend who told me if I give them protein like turkey for about 1 week they should all start laying eggs.

Does anyone know if this is true, I don't want to do anything before I get more insight on the matter. Any help will be appreciated :)

Every hen does not lay an egg every single day. Most of the common breeds are going to range between 4-6 eggs a week. So, if you think about that, you would average 4-5 eggs a day as the birds each cycle through their "off" days for any given week.

You can also examine each bird for the signs that they are or are not currently in lay. What breed(s) do you have? The expected rate of production can vary greatly from one breed to the next with some being very poor producers.

Well that's the thing I have these chickens but I am very inexperienced, I done have a clue what breeds they are. I have a picture of them as my avatar but I think I will take separate pictures this weekend and see if everyone can help me with names...lol

Back
Top Bottom