Wondering if she wants to lay.

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
I only have 5 hens, 1 of them a Cuckoo Maran stopped laying a couple of months ago, I only had one other that was laying a Black Rock, this is the one that breaks her eggs as she leaves the nest.
I posted in other threads, sometimes I'm lucky and catch the egg but have to break it in a dish as they are still soft or very brittle.

Anyway this morning the Rock was on her nest and I noticed the other Cuckoo Maran hanging about round her, she kept going up very close then going out of the coop then in again.
I was wondering if she was getting the inclination to start laying even though the days are getting shorter.
So as per usual as the Rock left the nest sure enough she had broken her egg, I had to clean it out and put fresh bedding in, but as yet the Maran hasn't returned so maybe she was just curious.

She may have been waiting for breakfast...the soft egg the other bird lays.
Have seen this when I had a soft layer, a couple other birds would stalk the nests looking for that treat.

I never saw the hen go back in again so maybe you are right she was after an easy meal or just curious.
This morning at 7.15 it was not properly light outside but I opened the coop, they all came out then the Rock went straight back in and went on the nest, that's the earliest I've seen her go to lay.
I know this may sound odd but with her laying these soft shell eggs I kind of wish she would stop laying now till spring and hopefully things will have improved.

I know this may sound odd but with her laying these soft shell eggs I kind of wish she would stop laying now till spring and hopefully things will have improved.
Not odd at all......the one I had this summer finally went in the freezer.

Not odd at all......the one I had this summer finally went in the freezer.

I hope you mean the egg lol.

I got an egg off her this morning, at first I thought she had laid a good one, but when I picked it up I could feel it was soft in parts, luckily she hadn't broke it, I cracked it in a dish for my breakfast tomorrow.

Wow! I was kidding, my soft egg layer is the head of the pecking order, if I had to cull her or if something happened to her I wonder who will take over?

Wow! I was kidding, my soft egg layer is the head of the pecking order, if I had to cull her or if something happened to her I wonder who will take over?
My birds aren't pets....they are for food.
Not that I didn't try to 'correct' both the problem birds issues,
went months at that and finally 'cured for the good of the flock'.

With reference to the soft egg layer, she now goes on the nest first thing, as soon as I open the coop she goes on the nest, but still the eggs are soft and most times broken.
This morning I went in after she left the coop and her egg was smashed.
I had to clean out the next box because of the yolk all over etc.

What would happen if there was no nest box in there, would she still lay on the floor or go outside and find a soft spot?
I'm kind of hoping she would stop till spring.

Even though there is no nest box she will still lay somewhere if an egg is being produced. How old are these girls? I have a feeling the other one is looking for an easy meal. But I could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom