1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wondering if the egg drought is over...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 27, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Today has been a "warm" day -- reached into the upper 30s or so. It's the first warmer day since the cold and snow hit. The birds have all weathered the cold okay, but I did have to break ice and haul hot water in. [​IMG] I've kept the light on in the barn 24/7 because we get a fair amount of darkness even now. My EEs have only been gracing me with a single egg from 6 chickens every day or so. Today, I got 3 eggs! [​IMG] The other chickens have been laying steady. I'm hoping that the EEs are done with their stress and we get more eggs. What do you think?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Shhhhhhh, don't jinx it. [​IMG]

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I haven't gotten blue or green eggs for more than a month. I know they've been molting, but their molt is already over! [​IMG]

I've got 9 big girls, and I'm getting 2 eggs a day. The 7 month old pullets are laying better than they are, I'm getting about 4-5 eggs a day from 10 of them!

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I have 12 layers and I'm getting about 5-6 eggs a day. The EEs have been on strike for the past 2-3 weeks with only a blue egg every day to every other day.

This lack of eggs is making me hungry for chicken soup![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by