Wondering what the cause of feather loss on head

That's not always the case though, I have a brahma that "grooms" my EEs beards - apparently she doesn't think they should have beards since the rest of the chickens in the flock don't. My chickens are on 20% flock maker.
Sometimes observing our chickens makes a big difference as far as the behavior they exhibit.
I agree, sometimes chickens do it when they are bored. Some chickens also would peck at beards and crests out of curiosity. Beard pecking may also be caused by food getting stuck in the beard.

I agree, sometimes chickens do it when they are bored. Some chickens also would peck at beards and crests out of curiosity. Beard pecking may also be caused by food getting stuck in the beard.
My brahma only grooms the EEs. She only picks their beards. 😁 I thought they looked nice when they molted and their beards grew back only to watch her pick their beard feathers. The most interesting part was that the EEs let her! They stood there while she did it and even raised their neck up at times. Once groomed she doesn't mess with them.

Back
Top Bottom