wondering what to do

rosawoodsii

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
One of my Silkies disappeared about 3 weeks ago. A few days later I discovered her behind a bale of hay, which I hastily replaced as she was setting eggs. I didn't mark the date on a calendar, so I'm not sure exactly when all this started. So, I took 4 of the 10 eggs and candled them today. I have no idea whether they're viable. Two look pretty much like they're doing nothing, but the yolks of bantie eggs are so big compared to the total eggs size that they take up a good portion anyway. So now I'm in a dilemma. Do I let her keep setting? Or do I get her some RR chicks, newly hatched, that I saw for sale? I'd love to think I'd have Silkie chicks--even one--but I'm not sure my flip-footed Silkie rooster is able to perform the task. I've seen him attempt it, seen the hens assume the position, but none of the eggs I've gathered ever looked fertile to me--but then, that was quite a while ago.

How much longer should I wait before deciding to throw in the towel on these eggs?

Well, I would leave her a couple of weeks and see what happens. I would also put food and water in easy reach.
big_smile.png

Another 2weeks seems like quite a long time. I know it's been more than 2 weeks. I think I'll give it another day or two, and then remove the eggs.

Well if it were me, and I calculated that she's been setting for about 3 weeks, I'd go get the chicks from the feed store. Make sure you get them the day they come in from the hatchery. It's confusing enough to the hen to wake up with chicks that already need to have food and water! If they're already 4 or 5 days old, they won't bond with her real well for a couple weeks. Thus you'll have to cage her and them, so they can't leave her. Too bad if you have a rooster and no fertile eggs! Oh, well.

I have 2 broodies now, no rooster, and I need some eggs!

My first broody hen was a RIR that never laid an egg, though she was well over a year old. I had a few chicks that I'd hatched in an incubator, they were 2 weeks old, and no way did I want to do the mother hen thing myself. So I grabbed first one hen, then another, and they both wanted nothing to do with the chicks. Then I grabbed the eggless hen and she immediately adopted them. She was the best mother, and she raised two broods for me. I'd still have her if a neighbor's dogs hadn't gone on a rampage and killed her and one of her half-grown chicks. I mourned that hen.

Back
Top Bottom