Wonky leg

Tcline4

Hatching
Mar 27, 2021
I'm not sure how my Mottled Houdan injured her leg in the brooder. I even took her to an Aviary vet who told me to isolate and let her rest for 2 weeks. Was told that nothing felt broken. I did that for 5 days and then the bandage trick. That seem to help after 3 days but the bandage would come off a lot. She was 2 weeks when this occurred. The leg doesn't just slide out, there's a twist to it. All her toes work. Any ideas?

She gets to her food and water and moves across the crib brooder to snuggle with her other 5 buds. She's behind with flying (does flap her wings more now) she can not roost

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_231403210.jpg
    PXL_20210412_231403210.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20210412_231354074.jpg
    PXL_20210412_231354074.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 2
Looks like it could be a slipped tendon. Here’s a link to some information on it. https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/07/15/slipped-tendon/

I believe a chick chair, and taping the tendon in place, will help her heal.
Here’s another source on chick chairs and slipped tendons.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-caring-for-the-special-needs-chick.72163/
Thanks for this info. I've been dealing with this for 2 weeks. I may take her back to the vet. It's been 50 years since I've had chickens and I Don't know anyone close to me who could show me all this. I took on a responsibility and I Want to try and get her fixed. I would have thought a Aviary vet would have spotted this issue in the 1st place.

Thanks for this info. I've been dealing with this for 2 weeks. I may take her back to the vet. It's been 50 years since I've had chickens and I Don't know anyone close to me who could show me all this. I took on a responsibility and I Want to try and get her fixed. I would have thought a Aviary vet would have spotted this issue in the 1st place.
I would have thought so too. But I know the vets around here, farm vets, wouldn’t know much about it.

Back
Top Bottom