Wonky Wyandotte--broody or sick?

Fowl Wrangler

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Hi BYCers,

My blue wyandotte has been acting strange. Normally she's disinterested in being held, very active in scratching about and running around the yard. The last few days she's increasingly spending all her time in the nest box. She's lost weight -- I don't know how much, but it's noticeable when you pick her up (not so much when you look at her, because she's very fluffy). When I approach her on the nest, she just looks at me apprehensively, she doesn't talk to me or scold me. When I go to take her out, she lets me and barely complains. She lets me hold her and carry her around. She does have an appetite, just no longer ravenously consuming everything in sight. Before this behavior started she was also making giant smelly poops for about a week. We keep taking her out, and she'll walk around a little and visit the feeder or scratch, but then runs back up to sit on the nest. I can't tell if she's going broody or sick. She's NOT being aggressive, but is sitting on her eggs (really "egg" since I've been vigilant/obsessive about getting the eggs from the nests).

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom