Won't come out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ebonykawai, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, we have some snow but it's not a LOT, only about 3-4 inches, if that. But my flock won't come out of the coop, not even into the run, which has a thick layer of straw and no snow at all.

WHAT IS GOING ON?????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this their first snow?

3. ebonykawai

Yes. Yes, it is. [​IMG]

Will they give it a try eventually? Why are they so freaked out? They can see me tooling around in it. They haven't been out in 2 days!

4. ebonykawai

Well, they made it out to the run, lol. They seemed pleased that I put in about a foot of fresh straw.

5. ebonykawai

So.....

Will they get used to the snow, or will they just be a bunch of chickens that don't like snow? They are RIRs.

Anyone have any wise words for me?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickens are well, chicken.
    I'll bet once they get used to the sight of it and get tired of being cooped up they'll overcome their fears.

7. ebonykawai

My daughter and I carried them out and put them down in the run and they were fine with that. If they venture out the front door of the coop, they slow wayyyyyyyyyyy down and don't really go anywhere, lol. Man, it's gonna be a long winter. I am definitely not going to put them all in the run every day. There's 11 of them!! They're on their own from this moment out.

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I had to learn the hard way , anything different and the chickens freak out . They do not adjust to any kind of change very well .

I even noticed if I clean out the coop and re-apply new pine shavings , THEY DO NOT lay for a day or so .

If they are new to this 1st. time snow , I would introduce them myself . Trust me , they will adjust . Go and remove them form the coop and shut the door if need be for a couple of hours and then re-open the coop so naturally they can go and lay . We certainly DO NOT want to stop the egg production . [​IMG]

9. ebonykawai

Yep, that's what I did a couple times. Sheesh, I wish they'd make a move on their own! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by