won't go in coop during the day..... eggs a problem?

jkm

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Forest Grove
I have four 15 weeks ladies, they go in their coop at night and roost, but refuse to leave the run and go in the coop during the day.
They have a roost in the run they love, under a small fir tree, only 6 inches off the ground. Or they get under the coop to rest.
I am worried they will not go in their coop and use the nest box, and I will have eggs all over.

so how important is it that they are going in and out of their coop all day?should I remove their run roost?
In the tour de coops the chickens walk back and forth all the time in and out of their coop.
My run is also bigger than anything I saw on the tour, 15 feet long, 4 1/2 wide,
The front of the coop is open, I thought it was too light, so I covered it with plastic tarp to make it darker.

should I add the crate for eggs yet?

I realize my coop design is not the best, but the girls are happy , healthy, handtame, and have eaten all the bugs and slugs in the garden.

but advice before i have eggs every where would be good, I really want eggs in a central place. or my smart dogs will get them before i do !.

my girls DO NOT like being in their coop during the day, however they all started using the nests to lay(inside the coop). We installed our nests when they were about 15 weeks old & I added wooden eggs right away. Occaisionally I'll find an egg out on the ground somewhere, but not very often. My girls will not even stay in the coop during storms or snow, as soon as the sun comes up they want out.

Back
Top Bottom