Won't leave coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poultrygeist, Oct 2, 2012.

1. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    My 3 year olds refuse to leave the coop for the last 5 days all of a sudden, coaxed 2 of them out with some brown rice but the other 2 won't come out!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if there is a predator in the area. I too live in NJ, and hawks are migrating through here in massive numbers. Last week I saw a 'kettle' of close to 40 Merlins, and yesterday saw a similar group of Cooper's.

3. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Funny (ODD) you know lately one of our roosters will not let the ladies out of the coop until the sun is fully up. I was out early in the morning and I saw some eyes looking at me in the brush near the coop. We are clearing 5 acres near our home and I think we have disturbed some of the local night life. Our ladies are locked up at night and there is no way into the coop (that we know of) We are in the country in Virginia and I can say its not safe at night out here for small animals.

4. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    They have an aviary over head so no flying preds. can enter. As I said I was able to coax 2 of them out twice with food. Haven't noticed any other critters around.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Something scared the he!! out of them, they'll probably come out after a few more days.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by