Won't leave the coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimice, Sep 17, 2011.

1. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Well, I told myself this morning "today is the day!" Today makes 7 days that my new flock of rescued birds have been locked in thier coop and run. Today I get to open the door and let them free to eat the green grass and bugs. How excited they are going to be to go outside! I opened the door to the coop expecting flapping wings and feathers flying out into the yard [​IMG]....but nothing. I could hardly get them to leave the run area. I guess on the bright side...I don't have to chase them all over the yard to get them back into the coop? Any suggestions on how to coax my girls out into the yard? How long until they are comfortable being outside the pen, or will they ever!? Anyone ever had this issue? [​IMG]

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Just give them time. They will venture out in their own time. I prefer to let mine out in the evening, an hour or so before they go to roost. Then they will be sure not to wander too far before bedtime and will put themselves to bed.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep, they will in time. They are comfortable where they are and will eventually go out, but they take their time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by