WOO!!! Meat chicken barter!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Apr 4, 2012.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Have to share :)

I have a friend who is an award winning taxidermist, and my husband and I are hunters. A few years ago, my husband shot a huge buck on our property - the biggest he's ever seen, and the biggest deer I know that's been shot. We live pretty frugal in most terms, not a lot of money for "wants" after the needs are met. He's always wanted to have his buck's antlers mounted, and we just don't generally have the money extra for that, so they sit on the shelf.

My friend just offered to mount his buck antlers for 30 cornish X processed! That will split the time up nicely for cost, and I'll order 50 to make sure I have more for me as well. I like raising the meaties, and the cost will more than offset the cost of the mount regular price. It's easier for me to pay for their feed over time (and especially if I can bulk order from the mill), than to just fork over money for the mount.

I'm so excited. Hubby will finally get his dream deer mounted, I'll have more meaties in the freezer, and my friend will have a good supply of nice meaties for his freezer :)

This is hubby's deer (hubby is 6'5 and 200, the inside spread of the antlers was 22", we got LOTS of meat off this buck!)

[​IMG]

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    you sure know how to make good deals. beautiful buck.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Congrats! [​IMG]

4. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I love the barter system use it for several things!!

5. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    That is awesome! That means you will have to fire up the ol' meatie thread again. [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I do love the barter system but how much does he charge to mount just the antlers? At $10 a bird, that is what my DD sold her extra Cornish X's for, that seems like a rather expensive mounting. :confused: I could be wrong.

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    He currently runs $435 for a shoulder mount, and he's providing the cape (those can run anywhere from $50 to $150+) We don't have the cape for hubby's deer anymore (freezer went out), so total, it works out pretty good. I also REALLY like his work, and back when I thought I wanted to do taxidermy, he let me come to his shop and work with him - very meticulous guy. :)

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congrats on the awesome deal!
    [​IMG]
    Win-win for sure.

Nice buck! Beautiful long tines and symetrical. I have one a little smaller than that one - the deer of a lifetime for me!
    I mounted the rack on a board wit some red felt and it hangs in my sewing room. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by