Wood ashes & chicken poop

desertskynm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Albuquerque
Hi...

I had heard that you can sprinkle wood ashes on fresh chicken poop and that neutralizes ?? or some how makes the poop ready to go in the veggie garden as fertilizer...

Does that sound right to you?

How much ash to how much poop?

Thank you,
Misty

Quote:
Fresh chicken poop in excess is known to "burn" plants due to the high nitrogen/nitrates. Wood ash is a high ph (base) and will neutralize low ph (acid) but will do nothing to prevent "fertilizer burn". Mix your fresh Poo with high carbon material (wood chips) and compost for at least a couple of weeks prior to putting on the garden. Or you can do like me and compost at the source in a deep litter sub-ground dirt floor Coop and put it on your Garden at your leisure. (see my BYC page)

Plain wood ash is good in dust baths. It helps keep them free from parasites. I don't think it would help with fresh chicken poop. It could make a good additive for the garden in the right amounts, though. Depending on what your soil is low in.

Thank you for clarifying! Wood ash just balances the pH, doesn't affect the nitrogen level. Any idea the proportion of chicken poop to wood ash?

I will research more about the deep litter.

Thanks!
Misty

Quote:
Fresh chicken poop in excess is known to "burn" plants due to the high nitrogen/nitrates. Wood ash is a high ph (base) and will neutralize low ph (acid) but will do nothing to prevent "fertilizer burn". Mix your fresh Poo with high carbon material (wood chips) and compost for at least a couple of weeks prior to putting on the garden. Or you can do like me and compost at the source in a deep litter sub-ground dirt floor Coop and put it on your Garden at your leisure. (see my BYC page)

I'ved used wood ash on poop before, It drys it out quicker and gets the smell down too.
My birds take bathes in the ash too, and if you sprinkle it on roads or paths, it's anti-slip

Quote:

perfect.. I am using a deep litter method in my coop.. sawdust plus straw on a dirt floor. I also have wood ashes. I hope my garden likes that schmorgasbord.. i also hope it is aged enough since I have done this deep litter since last summer.

Back
Top Bottom