wood bees?? some kind of bees.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenlver2013, Aug 11, 2013.

1. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens started roosting on top of the chicken coop and there is poop all over the top of it. Well what is unusual that I've never seen before is these bees. I don't know if they're bumblebees (I've never seen a bumblebee in my life.) Or wood bees. And they look like they're gathering the chicken poo up and eating it? Taking it somewhere? I don't know. I've never seen bees do this before.

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I don't know if a kind of bee would do that, defiantly not a bumble bee. They just collect pollen from the flowers and bring it back to the hive. It could be a different type of Dung Beetle. I also have Wood Bees, and I don't think they would eat the poo. They like to burrow in wood, and I believe they also collect pollen, but I am not very sure.

3. Peaceeagle1

Peaceeagle1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    McConnellsburg, Pa
    It would be great if you could get a picture of these bugs. I'm wondering if they are "sweat bees" which are really not bees but flys that are colored yellow and black like bees. PPl usually see these when they are tiny. I have seen them as adults and they can get very large- bigger then a bee. The way to tell the difference is; bees have double wings. Flies have only 1 set of wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by