Wood call ducks??

Nice! Thank you Giffy! So subtle differences, but doable.

I would hate to pack up a woodie egg that is suppossed to be a mandarin - especially since I have no resale license for them. I guess I will have to pay close attention to who is laying in what next box and practice telling them apart.

Not sure on the size of your pen or how many Mandarin/Wood pairs you have, but remember that not enough nest box choices for them can result in a hen dumping her eggs into anothers nest box.

giffy

I have never had a wood duck cross with a mandarin and am pretty sure that they will not cross with a call duck.
000_0195.jpg
mom and babies(wood ducks)
100_2209.jpg
white call and babies
1001406_017.jpg
day old mandarin

Quote:
If a hybrid can occur with a wild Mallard and a Wood Duck, a hybrid with a Wood Duck and domestic call is likely.

wood-hybrid01.jpg

wood-hybrid02.jpg

wood-hybrid03.jpg

I have had lone Aix males that were kept with lone Anas and even Aythya females and they showed little interest and didn't seem to be as promiscuous as Anas males. I think if you kept lone Aix (or any other genus for that matter!!) females with Anas males, hybrids are possible.

Dan

My wood ducks and calls bred together last year. Unfortunately, the few mixed eggs I got did not hatch. I broke them open and you could tell the ducklings were mixed. I have seen pictures of hybrids too.

Note.....the male calls were the ones that bred with the hen woodie. I'm almost positive the male woodies did not initiate anything with the female calls. Male calls will jump on anything that moves, lol!

Back
Top Bottom