Wood chips and bumble foot?

Esme2345

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Hi everyone I am thinking of using wood chips in my duck run, does anyone have any experience with them and do they cause bumblefoot, I have 5 pekin ducks and I’m hoping it may help with much problems as when it’s rains it will just drain straight through the wood chips? Any help would be appreciated

I use wood chips - I would recommend them, but not to folks that own Pekins, and the reason for that is because Pekins are very heavy birds and when choosing a substrate for them lots of emphasis needs to be put on it being soft and cushioned to prevent the onset of bumblefoot or the variety of other leg issues we see. The only exception there might be is if you get shredded hardwood bark, as that tends to be softer, and finer otherwise I would use different bedding.

Wood chips did cause bumble in my saxony. Part of the problem i think stemmed from the fact that the chips would not dry out, but they might in warmer locations. Its worth mentioning that wood chips means different things to different people, and some are sharper then others.

My avian vet told me specifically not to use wood chips. I was having a lot of problems with bumblefoot in my heavier ducks, my pekin in particular. When I followed her advice my bumblefoot problems vanished and I haven't had any for years now.

Also I know members on here who don't have issues with wood chips.

I use wood chips - I would recommend them, but not to folks that own Pekins, and the reason for that is because Pekins are very heavy birds and when choosing a substrate for them lots of emphasis needs to be put on it being soft and cushioned to prevent the onset of bumblefoot or the variety of other leg issues we see. The only exception there might be is if you get shredded hardwood bark, as that tends to be softer, and finer otherwise I would use different bedding.
what about wood shavings? i have pekin.

The great thing about bedding is its cheap and easily changed out. I would encourage anyone to try any new material they are interested in and just monitor their feet about 3 times a week. If you catch bumble that earily just apply antiseptic for a day or two and it will not be an issue.

what about wood shavings? i have pekin.

I have found wood shavings to be O.K, as long as they're kept dry

If someone with only light breed ducks used woodchips, do you think it would be ok?

There would be less chance of any foot problem developing with smaller breeds, but it may still occur depending on the size of the wood chips, how long they're on it, etc.

Back
Top Bottom