wood chips for run

another freshing up every 4-6 months and yes , they are damp and have some fungus in there because it is not being turned up, but the chickens will and their poop will start the ball rolling to compost. No smell, No flies. Good stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    901.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    849.9 KB · Views: 9
Starting out with just a dirt run i would put at least 4" deep. I just use a heavy Bobcat and dug my run down 6" and went back with 8-12" of new chips. I get them free and can use a Bobcat for free as well. Easy on the old man. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 8
Starting out with just a dirt run i would put at least 4" deep. I just use a heavy Bobcat and dug my run down 6" and went back with 8-12" of new chips. I get them free and can use a Bobcat for free as well. Easy on the old man. LOL
Haha that's the arrangement I need! My poor husband.

Getting eager for my chip pile... Not until November 22 when we have some trees taken down. Then I'll have 8-10 yards of chips! :woot

That's great that you can leverage chips right from your property. Best I could do is paying $10/yard for them...but they'll make the run a lot cleaner, less muddy, and better smelling...so it's worth it.

Since I'm spending money, I might grab a sack of BOSS and toss a cup down before dumping each wheelbarrow load of chips...motivation for the flock to scratch around...and maybe some sprout (although it's getting cold for that, I guess).

Back
Top Bottom