Wood chips/mulch will this work?

Hello! I am having a heck of a time finding wood chips or mulch that isn't dyed. I did find a place that has Texas hardwood mulch. Will this work? Cedar is not a hardwood, right? Other than that. they have black and red, which are dyed. I am not finding very many options. I cannot seem to find a tree service in my area to ask if they have wood chips. I didn't think this would be so difficult.

Thanks for the help!
Have you tried chip drop? You go online and add your name to the list. Local companies drop off a load when they have what you’re looking for. It can a pretty big quantity though. How much do you need?

I have access to cypress wood chips (it's sold as mulch), but it is literally wood chips with no bark and no strand material. I can buy large bags for cheap. It doesn't rot or compost/break down as quickly as other materials.
My question is, does anyone have any experience with using cypress wood chips in their chicken run? My thoughts are it might work better because it doesn't soak up moisture and rot as readily as other materials. Ideas anyone?
Thanks!

I have access to cypress wood chips (it's sold as mulch), but it is literally wood chips with no bark and no strand material. I can buy large bags for cheap. It doesn't rot or compost/break down as quickly as other materials.
My question is, does anyone have any experience with using cypress wood chips in their chicken run? My thoughts are it might work better because it doesn't soak up moisture and rot as readily as other materials. Ideas anyone?
Thanks!
I use it (cypress/hardwood blend) with good results.

So far I've only used thin layer - just enough to keep mud under control during rains. Once my run is how I really want it to be, I will then make the choice between the free mixed chips from way across town or the nursery less than a mile away that sells bulk mulch ( they should have cypress), then really do deep litter.

Final answer, cypress is fine.

I use it (cypress/hardwood blend) with good results.

So far I've only used thin layer - just enough to keep mud under control during rains. Once my run is how I really want it to be, I will then make the choice between the free mixed chips from way across town or the nursery less than a mile away that sells bulk mulch ( they should have cypress), then really do deep litter.

Final answer, cypress is fine.
Thanks! You mentioned deep litter. Do u use or plan to use the cypress wood chips in your coop as well?

Back
Top Bottom