Wood chips/mulch will this work?

oh gotcha, sorry. I am still looks for a tree service around me to see if I can find anything else. When I search for wood chips all I get is chip for smoking in a smoker. :(
Tree service is said to be the best. Keep looking. Also, check the dump/landfill. In my county the trees services (pay?) to dump there and the people can come and get it for free. U-load style.

Tree service is said to be the best. Keep looking. Also, check the dump/landfill. In my county the trees services (pay?) to dump there and the people can come and get it for free. U-load style.
I found a tree trimming place that dumbs chips in a lot and is free to come get as much as you want. The problem is, I have no idea what type of trees they are. More than likely it will have cedar in it. There is lots of cedar trees in TX. I am not sure if I should get it. I want to, but I hear cedar is not good for chickens.

I found a tree trimming place that dumbs chips in a lot and is free to come get as much as you want. The problem is, I have no idea what type of trees they are. More than likely it will have cedar in it. There is lots of cedar trees in TX. I am not sure if I should get it. I want to, but I hear cedar is not good for chickens.
I understand. It's one of the reasons I have not done it myself. That said, I have read from several respected posters here that cedar in the run is not much of an issue as they'll have plenty of fresh air. The problem is building the coop with or using it in the coop, even then it's eastern red that is more problematic.

I understand. It's one of the reasons I have not done it myself. That said, I have read from several respected posters here that cedar in the run is not much of an issue as they'll have plenty of fresh air. The problem is building the coop with or using it in the coop, even then it's eastern red that is more problematic.
Good to know! I use pine shavings in the coop so that is not an issue. Do you put anything down in your run? Mine is getting muddy since they ate all the grass. Its a 10x20 run with 10 hens but it didn't take them long to get eat it.

Good to know! I use pine shavings in the coop so that is not an issue. Do you put anything down in your run? Mine is getting muddy since they ate all the grass. Its a 10x20 run with 10 hens but it didn't take them long to get eat it.
I use a bagged cypress/hardwood blend from Home Depot. Usually 8-10 bags at a time. My run is not 100% how I want it to be so I've not done any large load method. Once completed I will and at this time I will not rule out a tree service or free pick up that may contain eastern red cedar.

http://www.compostfacility.org/products.html
Product Price per Cubic Yard
Wood Chips $ 8

Thank you for your interest in the Bell County Regional Compost Facility. We are located in Killeen,Texas next to the City of Killeen Transfer Station and serve all of Central Texas including local cities such as Belton, Copperas Cove, Georgetown, Ft. Hood, Harker Heights, Killeen, Lampasas, Nolanville, Salado and Temple. Our products are used by landscapers, nurseries, construction companies and home owners. You do not have to be a resident of Bell County to purchase from us. Products may be purchased by the cubic yard. A self-service (bring your own bags) option is also available.

I use a bagged cypress/hardwood blend from Home Depot. Usually 8-10 bags at a time. My run is not 100% how I want it to be so I've not done any large load method. Once completed I will and at this time I will not rule out a tree service or free pick up that may contain eastern red cedar.
Thanks! At some point we are going to recreate our run but the size and location will not change. My husband is not thrilled about having to shovel a truck full of chips so I need to look for alternatives just in case. He recently had back surgery so he may not be able to do it... or help I should say. I will check Home Depot too. I appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom