Wood Duck Mating Ideas

Steven Seitz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
I have a pair of wood ducks, they are only a year old. They are in a pen with water and shelter and plenty of room for nesting. The hen has yet to lay any eggs though. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make her lay. Or is it best to just sit back and wait?

You can't make her lay. You'll have to wait and let nature take it's course. Yearlings may or may not lay. What is their diet? Have several appropriate nest boxes? Where are you, it's still not terribly late in the year for woodies to start laying.

Clint

Well their pen is outside but most of the day they stay in the back part of the pen where it is covered they only tend to come out at night when its calm.

You can't make her lay. You'll have to wait and let nature take it's course. Yearlings may or may not lay. What is their diet? Have several appropriate nest boxes? Where are you, it's still not terribly late in the year for woodies to start laying.

Well I feed them a mix of feed but they like crack corn a lot and muzari feed.

I would cut the corn and only feed Mazuri, but if they are that flighty, I would be afraid they are too stressed to lay.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom