Wood ducks and mandarin ducks

Roosterboy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
I looked and i couldn't find what i was looking for.

I wanted to know if mandarins make good pets

Are they friendly?

Do they lay well?

How much water do they need?

bun.gif
thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry Madies don't make good pets at all toooo flighty and will fly away at 1st chance without looking back. They are seasonal layers and Need a special mandrian nest to nest in . A baby pool works well
allie

Yes i did. I did not ask about being a good pet because of the permit but the egg production was directed toward them

Mandarins are flighty, but they can be tamed if they are handled consistently. They do need a nesting box, but they are not hard to build, my husband put mine together very quickly. They are very good parents and fun to watch. They lay in the spring. Hope that helps. If you need infor on the nesting box, let me know and I will take some pics for you.

www.fancygeese.com

Neither Madies nor Woodies make good pets. They are what most people call Ornamental birds. They are not really a domestic breed. And where I live, you have to have a speical permit to own Madies ( not woodies though ). They get scared easily and are really flighty. And must be kept in a flight pen ( which I still need to get to work on...lol ). In my personal experience, they are not as easily hand tamed as other ducks. But, ( again from my personal experience ) woodies make a bit better pets then Madies. They need the same amount of water as any other duck. They need a small pool/pond and a waterer in their pen for them during the night when they are penned up.
Madies aren't really good layers. They keep to strict seasonal laying ( unlike most domestic duck breeds ) and only lay about 2-6 eggs per clutch. I dont know about woodies though.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know - I guess it depends on what you mean by "pet". If you mean you want to handle them a lot - them probably not. But if you want to enjoy watching them in a natural type habitat - I can't think of a better looking example than a mandarin.

I could watch mine play all day long, they are pretty cool with me going into the aviary, I mean if I anted to actually catch one it woudl be quite a task, but they don't spooked if I'm just walking around doing my thing.

They play like babies in the pools, it is really cute to watch, and they perch on all the dead trees and stuff. The call they make is awesome, a small but high pitched whistle. They call the girls all the time.

I have four next boxes, one for each pair, and I got them from a place online. One side lifts up so you can check eggs and clean them out. They were about $60 each plus shipping.

In the United States you do not need a permit for Mandarins. They are not a native migrating bird. You do need a permit for Wood Ducks. They ARE native to the US and the do migrate. I hope that helps.
smile.png

hi I was just wondering do you know if you need a permit for a mandarin duck as I would love a pair and are yours breeding pair
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom