Wood Ducks??? Anyone have any eggs for sale NC

I dont think an one would fault you with saving them that way!

The mallards are more of an exception to the wild rule too, they are just as tough as the domestics, but as you said, wild as all get out!
Aubrey

Quote:
I have to disagree with the "they never make it". I ended up with a clutch of orphaned wild mallards last spring whose mother was hit by a bush hog right when they were hatching. They all made it just fine but were wild as all get out and no way could be tamed. I released them onto a remote pond on my property right before they were ready to fly and we did get to witness them finally taking flight and leaving. I am totally opposed to removing young birds or eggs from the wild except in cases where there is no chance of survival without human intervention.

I think that the "they never make it comment" was directed towards the wood ducks.

Mallard ducklings are captured and raised by the hundreds every year. Captured wood ducks aren't raised with nearly the same success rate. Kudos for rehabilitating the ducklings.

-Kim

Last edited:
I hope this is okay to post here, I raised a turkey vulture last year, from 3 days old. It's parents got killed by some coons at night while they were nesting in our deer blind. They nested there every year. But she was fine, We kept her through most of the summer and she finally flew off, but just before migration she came back to "home" and landed on our shed, so we got to see that she survived on her own in the wild. Just thought I would add that as some wild birds can be raised and survive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom