Wood mulch in a run?

Why not the shavings in the house as bedding and why be concerned about the outside uncovered ground? :idunno

I’m worried about the stagnant water becoming unhealthy for the ducks to noodle in and of course the smell. It’s not too bad, but I don’t ever want to get to a point where neighbors complain. I’m just not sure the pine shavings will be enough to handle the puddle.

here is the problem.
0A88405D-FD9D-41BE-A37F-5C2D0A6AB512.jpeg

My avian vet told me not to use wood shavings or mulch of any kind when I was having issues with bumbles. She told me to have dirt or grass only in their aviary, no rocks either. And to use only hay or straw for bedding in their barn room. I was having constant issues with bumblefoot before I followed this advice, and when I switched 3 years ago I haven't had a bumble since.

I do have a HUGE aviary, divided into 2 sections so the grass can grow back. And the hay/straw inside their room needs to be changed weekly or it molds.

Obviously, some people are using mulch with no problems. But if I use even pine bedding just for sleeping my ducks gets huge sores on their feet.

Any way you can add some kind of drain system? When we get a lot of rain and around the bucket area gets yucky I put white vinegar into the water buckets to clean them and pour that water over the area I want to clean up. It does help and it’s safe for the birds.

I’m worried about the stagnant water becoming unhealthy for the ducks to noodle in and of course the smell. It’s not too bad, but I don’t ever want to get to a point where neighbors complain. I’m just not sure the pine shavings will be enough to handle the puddle.

here is the problem. View attachment 1955576
Can you install a drainage pipe in that corner? I'd worry about the water getting funky, too.

Life with ducks often feels like trying to figure out one muddy poopy mess after another...

Well next spring I am going to build a new pond, instead of using the baby pool, that will have a drain pipe leaning out of the rim. I think that’s going to be a huge help.

but until then..

BCBFE62A-34E4-466C-87E3-DC0A65F308AC.jpeg
Ok! So this is the winter set up.
I removed the baby pool and put in the fenced in outside area. It’s just too much water to dump out in their aviary run.
If you can see in the picture, I filled the trouble area, where the water was collecting, with mulch. The rest of the aviary run is filled with softer pine chips. This is the sane stuff I used for brooding so I know it is safe for their feet.
In the picture you will see an overturned black tub. This is going to be their new water source for the winter. It’s smaller and I feel a bit mean that they can’t really swim as a group anytime they choose, but they will still have the baby pool for supervised outdoor play. their coop still has mainly straw.

I hope this will be an improvement, until spring when I can build a piped and draining pond.

Back
Top Bottom