Wood Pellets VS Chicken Feed, anybody see a problem?

MollyDora

Chirping
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Crocker, MO
Hello Everybody,

We want to switch from our normal bedding to Wood pellets (eventually we want to use the deep litter method, but would like to give this a try.

Now when we were just getting ready to put the pellets down and opened the first bag, we realized how simmilar those pellets look to the pelletized chicken feed we have. (we feed Purina Layena plus)
Does anybody every had a problem with this?

Will my chickens think that I'm laying out a layer of feed for them?

we did make sure that the pellets have no additives or such, but I still am worried that my chickens are going to scarf down the pellets ...

thank you for any tips or shared experiences.

Anna

I've been using equine fresh for over a year and haven't had a problem (or at least not a noticeable problem) with them eating it. I use it in my brooder for the little ones also. I think they peck at it and can tell it isn't food just like they do when out free-ranging. They peck at anything new but don't stand around eating non-food items.

My chickens usually think they can eat anything I put down for them at first. But they are smart enough to realize that the pellets don't taste or smell like food. When I first put pellets in there they did attempt to eat them, and some of them did get inside of their mouth, but they hated the taste and spat them out. So I don't see any problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom