wood stove pipe installation help

boston3381

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 7, 2009
hi all
smile.png

i hope some one here can help me out with a wood burning stove pipe question.

i have a 3 story old farm house and i want to add a stove on the first floor but i dont want to run all that pipe up the side of my house and i cant use the fire place, it's being used by the boiler.

from what i been reading (by code ) the top of the stove pipe needs to be at lest 10 feet from the house. this is Measured horizontal from the house. thats why your pipe is only 3 to 4 feet above your gutter or soffit ( roof pitch versus height)

so what im looking to do is stub out of the house build a stand for the pipe in my yard 10 feet away (witch can be removed in the summer).
i need to know for proper air flow, how much horizontal pitch do i need befor i need to go vertical.. witch will determin the hight of my stand..

a example whould be pipe leaving house 5 feet (above grade) to the stand at 7 feet (above grade)..i have looked everywhere online i cant find anything on horizontal versus vertical pitch..

sry to make everyone think on a weekend but my feet are frezzing
idunno.gif

pipe installation vertical versus horizontal

Hi, my husband was chimneysweep for over fifteen years. Not only did he clean them, he repaired and installed them. I asked him if he'd rummage through his memories and answer your question. Here is his answer:

First of all, there's a huge difference between stovepipe and chimney pipe. Stovepipe is thin-wall galvanized pipe that connects directly to the woodstove. Chimney pipe is usually double or triple wall stainless steel pipe which is either insulated or air-cooled. The insulated is used for woodstoves. Chimney pipe is 25% (minimum) than the stove pipe.

Stovepipe is never run outside a building. The single-wall steel pipe will quickly fill with creosote, hampering draft or catching on fire. Only insulated chimney pipe is acceptable for running outside a building.

Now, the stove pipe should have a minimum pitch of 4 inches rise per linear foot of run to ensure proper draft. Once outside, the chimney pipe should run as vertical as possible to ensure draft and to reduce creosote buildup.

The 10' rule is for insuring proper draft when the chimney is run up the side of a building. Running a pipe through a wall to an outside platform 4' high that is 10' from the side of the house simply will not work.

The minimum overall height from stove to chimney top should be 15 feet. Anything less may not have adequate draft.

See the following link for more info:

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/FNR-100.html

Hope that helps.

thank you greyhorsewoman and your husband too

it was Chimney pipe that i was refering too. and u answer my question ( a minimum pitch of 4 inches rise per linear foot of run to ensure proper draft)

i think im better off running the pipe up the side of the house.whitch will not be cheep
sad.png
but i did learn something new today ty..

Are you certain you can't run both pipes up through an existing chimney? Our central chimney has one pipe for the furnace, but the installation guys were able to run a second pipe up through it for a wood stove, no problem. If there is room for a regular working fireplace to catch a good draft, I would think there'd be room for a pipe.

Back
Top Bottom