Wood

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by greg zechman, Dec 20, 2010.

1. greg zechman

greg zechman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    COVINGTON GA
    I Hope I Have Put This In The Right Section I Am Wanting To Know If There Is Any Particuliar Wood To ...not... Use For The Cabinet Ie Cedar Or Other ? I Have A Couple Gqf Bators And A Old Leahy Bit I Would Like To Make A Couple New Ones And Sell These Redwood Has Just Gotten Plum Silly On Price........ Thanks Greg

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm not really sure but I know your not supposed to use cedar bedding with chicks.. Hopefully someone can help you out!!

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    In board form even cedar and walnut are fine. make sure the wood is dry, not green. Board surfaces oxidize during kiln drying and the volatile stuff is mostly gone. Plus there is a lot less surface area per pound of wood in boards compared to shavings.

I like knowing mites and such may not like hiding in the cracks of cedar boards. don't know if it really helps or not. [​IMG]

4. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I am in the process of building a cabinet incubator and will be using Mahogany ? I think if the wood of choice is not so important as to how you preserve it ..eg varnish etc .For myself I will be lining the interior with what we call "" puck "" board , a sort of plastic Plexiglas that is used to line poultry barns etc and helps with the disinfecting part of cleaning a barn .By lining the interior you keep in the moisture as well as making a clean up a breeze and protecting the wood as well ( as long as you seal it properly ) Cedar is a very light wood and also will absorb moisture ......but is almost rot proof which might be a benefit ?? Also cedar will seal quite well with a oil on the outside .Personal choice would be my answer .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by