Woodchucks gone badddddd - semi graphic pic

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Well today I had my ten 7 week old red sex links and my one year old bantie out in the yard.

A big woodchuck started to walk towards the lettuce I had put out for the chickens to eat. Well what happened was that My bantie though she could gaurd her lettuce. She went after the woodchuck and it grabbed her and pinned her down. They were flipping out and I started to see feathers fly every where ( im shouting at them during this)

I knew it would kill her, so I grab my rifle, and rested on my porch. I have about a 2 inch circle at 100yrds to hit the woodchuck without hurting princess ( the bantie) that 22-250 struck the woodchuck and rolled it about ten feet, and my banite started flipping out. I think she though that i was trying to shoot her!
big_smile.png

Well this happened at 7ish and it took me an hour to catch my bantie. Her wing was bleeding and she got cut on the chest. I clean them up and put some kote-blue on the cuts.

Hopefully she will be back to normal in a few days....

Heres the woodchuck. I never though that a woodchuck would hurt a chicken...

chucka215yrdheadshot-1.jpg

~Bryan

Nice shot. What rifle/scope? Handloads?

I am very surprised that the woodchuck grabbed the hen. You growing carnivore ground hogs up your way?

Its a NEF 22-250

Im running Remington UMC 55g JHP

I get 1/4 to 1/2 groups at 100yrds off a bench

So it was a realy easy shot. Glad I caught it when it started

Thats the entry hole... lets just say its missing its other half of its head

~Bryan

I got two woodchucks last year that were raising cain with my birds. The 22-250 is a very accurate rifle but I prefer my Savage Model 93 HMR .17 caliber. Shells are cheaper and just as acurate. This is the ultimate preditor sniper rifle in my eyes. 2250 FPS with a barrel no bigger than a pellet gun. Gotta love it.

The .17 HMR isnt suited for anything bigger than woodchucks....

I love my 22-250

I can do anything from rabbits to coyotes

The .17HMR is not ethical for anything larger than woodchucks and not for distances over 100yrds or so.

Ive gotten woodchucks out to 600yrds with my rifle

~Bryan

I'll tell you, wood chucks can be vicious little monsters. They will eat the plastic coating off your wiring in your auto! No kidding, a man that we knew couldn't start his truck and found that. Explain that to a insurance company.
If a woodchuck was going after the lettuce, it makes you wonder why, they would rather graze on clover vs human handled food.
(although you can catch a chuckie in a live trap with broccoli.)

Good thing you was out with your girl, tragic tale it could have been- nice shot too! (I'm envious ha ha)

Well, I think that's why everyone is a little freaked out, as Gound Hogs, Woodchucks, etc.... are known herbivors.....not carnivors. Maybe he was just fighting for the lettuce....??
hu.gif
Not sure why one would turn nasty on a chicken....weird!

Great shot though!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom