1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wooden Antique incubator...now what do i do with it "PIC'S" help plz!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, May 18, 2010.

1. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Get it even if you have to get it refabed the priced will only go up from there I'd steal it from you if I were closer [​IMG] and now [​IMG]

2. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    I just found a Leahy hatcher from a local - well he says it's a hatcher but I'm waiting for him to get me the model # so I can look up the specs. $150 is what he wants.

Here's pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One sold for $10 the last farm auction I was at. It was in rougher shape, but still fixable.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    That one looks cool too PriceFarms! I'd say go for it, but I might be an enabler too [​IMG]

5. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:oh thank's katy, just when i thought i had a good deal at 50 buck's you gotta go and tell me that..[​IMG] lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

I got it home and man o man is this something to behold! I guess this was used as just a hatcher because of the 6 tray's it has and the fact that the trays do not rotate or anything like that, they just pull out like drawers. But there is a very top tray that sits in front of the fan...it's all galvanized metal with three different sections. I'm guessing this was the tray that holds the water for the humidity....i wonder why it's right in front of the fan?? I'm guessing that's the way it's suppose to be. I could take pictures if you guy's think that would help?

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Nice buy and most of those old Leahy's did not have turner's in them. I looked at one a year or so ago and the guy thought he had a treasure or something. I think he wanted 550 for it or something like that. It was in good but not great shape.

You will either need to put a turner in it. I think one of those turners that go into the styro bators will fit in there on the shelf. Other wise you will need to turn by hand.

Yes the water pan is nearly always right in front of the fan. You get the best evaporation that way.

You can redo all the wiring and elements for very little I would replace the wafer thermostats even if they work, which is likley by the way.

Have fun I think it will hatch 5 or 6oo chicken eggs

7. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:yes 100 egg's per tray at 6 tray's......600 chicken's!! man that would be insane. I wonder how i will be able to re-do all the wiring??? If i need part's i wouldn't even know where to look first. I have seen that "incubatorwearhouse.com" has been selling the drop in kit's to turn any box into an incubator. They will be coming out with a new kit soon that is for larger for big cabinets so i might want that...but then again i would have to gut the entire incubator. I wonder if i could put a GQF sportsman thermostat in their?? But then i guess that would be kind of defeating the whole purpose of buying this incubator then. Heck i have no idea how i'm going to approach this now lol

8. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Kogers - I found this link thru another posting on BYC http://sunnycreekfarms.zxq.net/

Check
    out the site, it's pretty cool. I read that they have copies of the originals manuals and also a supply of spare parts!

Keep me posted on your progress because I thing I'm going to pick the one up that I found locally.

Cheers!!

9. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Well I'll be happy to email you the operating instructions for a Farm Master which is what your's appears to be. That will give you a pretty good idea of what you've got and how it is supposed to work. Parts can be found if needed. Unless the wiring insulation is frayed and damaged you can probably get by with a new wafer and lubricating the fan. You may have turners there and not realize it. Not automatic turners, but many of them have an arrangement to turn all the eggs in each tray with one motion.

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    You can get all the parts you need at any number of poultry supply places. GQF, Randall Burkey to name just two. You can even go to a GQF site and download wiring diagrams etc for a cabinet incubator. Also there is a guy in Minn. Sunny Creek incubators and hatchery or something close to that. He will sell you everything you need and likely can sell you a manual for this thing.

In fact you need
    Wire something like 18 or 20 guage I would guess you can see what you have and match the size
    fan
    heating element
    some kind of thermostat (electronic, or wafer)
    and you are done.

Once you get into yours it will be pretty clear not a lot of complexity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by