Woods Open Air Coop Design - Amish Built

The upper windows are 16x32 on the top, the side windows are 22x21.....I think they made them shorter because mine is only 14 feet long versus 16 feet. They said they could get another 3 inches to make it 22x24 if I really needed it. Let me know your thoughts and thanks as always :)

16X32" ought to be good. In the pic, they just look smaller. Check out the pic below. That side window slides forward, in the warmer months. It goes all the way to the front of the coop, leaving the opening fully open. The windows are about a foot and a half off the ground. Looking at your coop, the window could be lowered in the wall, allowing a bigger window.

55557_img_1367.jpg

Another thought...your windows are glass right? I believe they used plexiglass in mine, not really sure of the pros/cons.

Yeah, mine are all glass. The problem with plexiglass, in a coop, with the dust and grime, and if you are not careful when you clean them (They scratch/mar easily) the windows end up opaque. Glass windows can take a lot more abuse than plexi. Unless you use a diamond dust coated rag, when you clean them. :)

Yeah, mine are all glass. The problem with plexiglass, in a coop, with the dust and grime, and if you are not careful when you clean them (They scratch/mar easily) the windows end up opaque. Glass windows can take a lot more abuse than plexi. Unless you use a diamond dust coated rag, when you clean them. :)
Yes, you are so right!!! I'm remembering now why I hated plexi glass! With all the modifications I've asked them for I think they might actually sell the one they just built to another buyer and start mine from scratch. Everyone that sees it wants one, they have 4-5 orders for the same thing already!! They really have been a pleasure to work with and I'm in no rush so it makes sense to me too. That being said, if you have any additional suggestions feel free to share :)

Update...with all the modifications I asked for it was more cost effective for them to sell the one they built as is and start mine over from scratch. I’m beyond excited and just need to make sure I include every little thing I wanted this time. They have had several people stop to look at the coop and order one for themselves, I told them this would happen!

Update...with all the modifications I asked for it was more cost effective for them to sell the one they built as is and start mine over from scratch. I’m beyond excited and just need to make sure I include every little thing I wanted this time. They have had several people stop to look at the coop and order one for themselves, I told them this would happen!
So maybe a 'finders fee' or discount? ;)

It is possible you did your Amish guys a real favor. While they are really good craftsmen, and while it is assumed they know what to build, its also possible they didn't have any better idea on what a small flock coop should look like anymore than all the rest of the folks building these small flock barns. Coops that are long on "cute" and short on functional attributes that allow them to perform at their optimum, built that way for no other reason than the belief that "cute" is what would sell.

With your help, they now know what to build along with how to build it. Hopefully, word will spread throughout the land and they will all start building Woods coops.

BTW, when I was building my 8' x 12' Woods house, I kept loose track of how much it cost, and it was somewhere around $1,000 for materials. Double that if profit and labor were included.

So for about $2,000, you could have a house fit for about 24 birds.

Back
Top Bottom