Woods-style house in the winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JackE, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I think that Wood's "Open Air" book should be require reading for anyone who is even thinking about keeping chickens, so much good info. We've just finished our coop and run and would have done a few things differently but for newbies I don't think that we did a bad job after all we just have 4 hens.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And if anyone is interested, the run faces east to take advantage of the morning sun.[​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That is a beautiful coop. And very open too. What lucky hens! [​IMG]

3. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    That is an awesome coop [​IMG] !!!!!! i need to build that for my North Dakota winters !!!!! [​IMG]

4. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Love your Coop JackE!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!
    Quote:

5. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Oh Goodness, this is nice too!! Love the pictures!!
    Quote:

6. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Beautiful, urban coop. Blends in so well with the neighborhood.

I love it!!!

7. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Open air coops are a new one for me - never heard of it. I can't imagine that up here in the frozen tundra with the blowing biting winds that an open air coop would be fun for them? I'll have to read the book. It does look like the closed-in back probably faces north, and the solar windows and open area probably face south. Still, my instinct would be to duct-tape that baby up. I don't know if I could keep myself from closing it up.

Yeah, I'll have to read that book.

8. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I ordered the book yesterday but I'm in Baja Arizona. I have no doubt that a three sided or fresh air coop would be adequate for most of the year but I'm concerned about the monsoon season when we get violent electrical storms with high winds and buckets and buckets of rain.

9. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:I built one, and I think our climates are similar. Living off the grid with a battery system, I knew there'd be no way to use heat. After I talked to a few people who keep chickens in my area, I saw this thread. I was sold on the idea, and I'm a major worrywart. Keeping the birds dry is the key to reducing frostbite, and youll see that wisdom all over this forum. Check out the free version!

10. cathnmike

cathnmike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    I love this coop, it seems perfect. Can someone who has built one tell me - do you need to be an expert DIYer to be able to make it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by