Woods-style house in the winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JackE, Jan 27, 2011.

1. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:No no no... trade ME![​IMG] Man, you did an excellent job!!

Quote:It is digitized and FREE! The book available on Amazon is a paperback that a publisher reprinted and costs about $12.

Thanks for the link guys!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I would say if you had good plans and someone in the family that can help you sort it all out its doable even by a novice. The hardest part can be cutting the angles for the parts for the roof. Any Power equipment can be rented. Lots of people break construction jobs down in order to construct modules in the garage at a physical level thats easier than if you were out climbing around on a ladder. Then preassemble the walls to make sure everything fits together with screws that can be removed so you can take it out to the building site and fully assemble there.

BTW I havent made this one but I have made many projects of my own that taught me how to use the tools and since I work alone I HAVE to break it down into small physical steps.

good luck Oh and a shed roof is much easier to work with than a pitched roof. The original design for a Woods style house is two shed roofs at different levels with the vent in between.

edited to add the last sentence

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I love it [​IMG]

I have read this thread this am from beginning to end and have enjoyed it tremendously. I started at 7:30 and here we are 9:30 my 2 hours fly by if your having fun. What a great thread JackE thank you for making me aware of the style. Life in the PNW is a bit different as mentioned in a couple of posts. The rain and the overcast is such that the moisture would seep into the coop much easier than most areas. Water dams are more here than most places in the country bc we have sideways winds (strong) and extreme for extended periods of time and then you add rain from mist to buckets of rain that go on and on for days and weeks on end. I feel at times I need a chicken coop that is tall better for hanging myself from bc its to depressing to take at times. LOL Our weather dictates a different style of coop as mentioned by Cargo I believe who is from our area and notice his open air barn style (beautiful by the way) has prop up awning to drop down in each direction the wind/rain may be coming from. Our prevailing wind are mostly from the North and the West but we do get from time to time Southern winds but so few to not even mention. As to the direction a coop must be there will always be from JMO Northwest directions and that is the direction the rear or back of the coop must be placed anywhere in the country. Speckedhen made a great point or was it Pat not sure but any who to see where your shadow goes at noon straight up from the South to find the best placement for the front of your coop. I have an adequate coop for 10 with the space we allotted bc we had the blessing from the landlord to build our coop prior to moving in bc we had the girls and needed to find a home we could rent with the promise it would be cared for and she did come to look at the cleanliness with concerns for the neighbors taking issue with our beloved pets. We do not own as others do so we have issues of just having them go with us and not having to re-home them since we are a good family and conscience of all concerned around us. Thank you for this thread I do have the book and enjoyed reading it a couple of times. I have it booked marked in favorites and read it a number of times on line so we did not have to spend the money to buy another book to put on the shelve. LOL

Edited for adding my thoughts to this thread after a complete reading and not just scanning through the thread. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I love it!!!

this prooves that in the dead of winter the coop does not need to be shut up like a sardine can. It prooves a dry and draft free coop is all that is required.

5. Dixie's Chick

Dixie's Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    I really love this design. I don't have the article in front of me, but will locate it and reference--had good rationale for providing LOTS of fresh air to the chickens. I've been reading through lots of posts or other reviews of folks' coops and shed conversions. A common theme seems to be that they wish they had added more ventilation. And more room for more chickens!!

6. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Dixie's Chick :

I really love this design. I don't have the article in front of me, but will locate it and reference--had good rationale for providing LOTS of fresh air to the chickens. I've been reading through lots of posts or other reviews of folks' coops and shed conversions. A common theme seems to be that they wish they had added more ventilation. And more room for more chickens!!

[​IMG] Ventilation is way important! Happily, in the South, my kids are out mostly year 'round.​

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought it was interesting that Dr. Woods 20' x 20' open air coop was stocked with 150 hens. That is about 2.67 feet per bird.

8. notiones

notiones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    I totally love this coop! I wish I wasn't half way through a new coop myself or I would build this one.

9. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    [​IMG] Fantastic coop! I love the red and bright white. Especially in the interior. So cheery and light!

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by