Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
The shavings are as dry as in summer too. Not moisture...just that the individual poos freeze hard.

I think, though, after reading your reply I know what the probable cause of the warmer inside is. Your front open side is facing south. My front side (sometimes fully open sometimes not) is facing North.

If I had windows on the south side that would probably do the trick.

We have long thought about cutting windows on the south (back of shed) for that purpose that purpose. I'll bet that would make a big difference in temperature.

The shavings are as dry as in summer too. Not moisture...just that the individual poos freeze hard.

I think, though, after reading your reply I know what the probable cause of the warmer inside is. Your front open side is facing south. My front side (sometimes fully open sometimes not) is facing North.

If I had windows on the south side that would probably do the trick.

We have long thought about cutting windows on the south (back of shed) for that purpose that purpose. I'll bet that would make a big difference in temperature.
Huge difference....open south is probably the most important aspect of Woods' design.

One of the lessons I have learned is that my WEST facing horse stall get a huge amount of afternoon heat. In the summer the heat is very noticable. Recently when reading about the use of solar panels. the collection with a more westerly slant is very beneficial-- this takes into consideration the heavy electrical useage by our population in the afternoon.

I would love to see experimental results of turning the building in each of the directions and what factors play into what is appropriate. The Woods info clearly states east to south. I have one horse barn that is due south, and would be very hot except for the open walls.

A friend has a shed that is builtlong and low with horses accessing only the short side-- like where the large south windows would be. I was surprised how cool the interior was far into the back.

"Grammi" and family came back today and got the roof shingles up!!!!! Now soon as my hip allows weight on it I can try and finish more of the window etc.

"Grammi" and family came back today and got the roof shingles up!!!!! Now soon as my hip allows weight on it I can try and finish more of the window etc.
clap.gif

Still subscribed, so I thought I'd chime in since I was mentioned. ;)

If you look at the coop from the side view, the back of the coop has the slope, with the windows a little higher than the other slope. In the winter, all other windows are CLOSED. Air flows in slowly through the open front. Heat rises, so gets trapped up where the monitor/transom windows are. (hot air rises, cold air sinks. But it's two blobs of air with different temperatures so it works the same way. The greater the difference in air temps, the faster the air flow.) This warm air builds up and kind of acts as a cushion for the other air coming in the front. As warmer air cools up in the top, it slides slowly down the other slope and out the top part of the open front.

Still subscribed, so I thought I'd chime in since I was mentioned.
wink.png

If you look at the coop from the side view, the back of the coop has the slope, with the windows a little higher than the other slope. In the winter, all other windows are CLOSED. Air flows in slowly through the open front. Heat rises, so gets trapped up where the monitor/transom windows are. (hot air rises, cold air sinks. But it's two blobs of air with different temperatures so it works the same way. The greater the difference in air temps, the faster the air flow.) This warm air builds up and kind of acts as a cushion for the other air coming in the front. As warmer air cools up in the top, it slides slowly down the other slope and out the top part of the open front.
What is the overall size of your wow?

What is the overall size of your wow?

My wow? Window? World of Warcraft? I don't understand. ;)

The coop is on a trailer that is 7-8 ft (can't remember which) by 16 ft. I don't remember the heights of everything, but I suppose I coud measure it. We used the measurements for the 10x16 house but made it a different width cause that's what we had. It's a few years ago now, so it's hard to remember. I guess I'll have to dig up the book and a tape measure!

Well now... Let's think about this a minute. My chicken house has the pitch on the two roofs the same as the 10x16 design, but it isn't as wide. So technically air would flow in more slowly because the open front isn't as wide. The house is deeper in proportion to width than the design said. This could slow the air down a bit. Which is why I ended up having to add more ventilation (by ways of a closing window on the back wall) for the summer.

So the dimensions are important. The width is just as important as the angles of the roof line and the window placement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom