Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
With this coop, prevailing winds don't mean anything. It is designed and built, to face south to southeast. The real purpose of that, is to maximise sunlight into the coop. As I have stated on this thread before, I have had 30-40mph winds blow directly at the open front in the winter. Even with that, inside the coop is totally calm. No swirling winds, no dust storms, it's perfect. Full fresh air exchange, with no drafts.
For some reason I thought I read that the opening of this style coop should face south unless there is a continuing prevailing wind?

I guess I better read the book again :)

I will most likely start building mine in the next 2-3 weeks.

What was the name of the black roofing stuff use for the floor?

Any other last minute tips for a new builder? Or anything you would have done a little different? Like with the windows, doors or roofing?

I plan on using 2x4's for the decking for the floor and that roofing tar/paint stuff on top of that. Also I will paint the whole inside white. I was thinking maybe the metal roofing instead of shingles? I am still undecided in using the textured/fake plywood siding or hardie board.

I am also going to build it in a way that if I ever wanted to move it I could fab up some wheels to be able to move it a short distance. Meaning putting the framing on cement blocks and not sinking any posts in the ground.

For what it's worth... my SE-facing woods is just inside a stand of white oaks. The inside is painted white. When the leaves are gone in winter, the light comes in in the afternoon and warms the coop. In the summer, it's shaded to keep it cooler in there. It's dark in the summer mornings before the sun has a chance to swing around, but the white paint mostly fixed that.

Because the ratio of my coop is slightly off, (it's deeper than it is recommended for the width). The air flow is reduced a little, so we added a window on the back wall. I have weather stripping and it is sealed tightly when closed. It is obviously closed all winter, as are the other windows.

Last edited:
An update.
The first winter with my fresh air poultry house is concluded, and it was one of the coldest winters here in over 20 years. Minus 20F nights were not unusual.
I had 15 birds. The runt died, but I don't think she ever produced and appeared to get ill and was severely bullied bu all birds during her last day in February. She found refuge, but died during the night. I cannot say that this had anything to do with the cold.
The largest bird became a bully in February, eating tail feathers off of other birds, and pecking quite severely. In spite of various attempted remedies she had to be dispatched. Also not related to the coop.
The remaining birds survived with slight frostbite on the tips of the combs and waddles.
Egg production remained steady and the girls appeared to be quite content and otherwise healthy.
The coop seemed to function as it should. On a few occasions driving snow due to a wind from the south would enter the open window, but only a few feet into the coop and with little accumulation. It would melt away the next day. The coop always smelled good and the thick bed of wood chips worked well with the chicks scratching.
All in all, I'm pleased and I have no intention of changing anything. If they survived this winter in this style of coop, then I have no future coop design related concerns.

Here is my 10x20 Woods' style coop built in the summer of 2013. It faces SE. Notice the low windows on the sides. The chickens love being able to look out in three directions while they wait for me to let them out. We had -9F and -18F in November and February, respectively. There were many days of a frost white-out, yet the inside of the coop stayed clear of all frost. No trouble with moisture or frost bite this year compared to winter 2011-12 in my 8x12 coop. I haven't replaced any bedding since August 2013, but added some as needed. The bedding is loose and clean smelling in there because of the poop board. I painted the poop board with the black roofing tar and then put two pieces of Formica on top (from Restore for cheap) which I take off and clean as needed.

CaroleK that looks great. I can see them in the window :)

Is that just the plywood for the sides? Or tongue and groove cedar?

Is that 6' or 8' chain link? I have been thinking same thing for around mine when I don't want to let them free roam all over.

Quote: YOu might consider reading the deep litter method. I have been using it with some sucess. Less work involved in maintaining it and when clean outis needed it can be scheduled to fit your timing. So I built my Woods coop directly on the ground in a high spot for good drainage during rains.

I also built abox along the soil interface to cope with the moisture-- 10" PT all around. THen built walls on top of th e PT.

An update.
The first winter with my fresh air poultry house is concluded, and it was one of the coldest winters here in over 20 years. Minus 20F nights were not unusual.
I had 15 birds. The runt died, but I don't think she ever produced and appeared to get ill and was severely bullied bu all birds during her last day in February. She found refuge, but died during the night. I cannot say that this had anything to do with the cold.
The largest bird became a bully in February, eating tail feathers off of other birds, and pecking quite severely. In spite of various attempted remedies she had to be dispatched. Also not related to the coop.
The remaining birds survived with slight frostbite on the tips of the combs and waddles.
Egg production remained steady and the girls appeared to be quite content and otherwise healthy.
The coop seemed to function as it should. On a few occasions driving snow due to a wind from the south would enter the open window, but only a few feet into the coop and with little accumulation. It would melt away the next day. The coop always smelled good and the thick bed of wood chips worked well with the chicks scratching.
All in all, I'm pleased and I have no intention of changing anything. If they survived this winter in this style of coop, then I have no future coop design related concerns.
What breed and strain of birds do you have-- sorry I can't remember.

Quote:

Quote: Actually the instructions allowed for an east facing. We are on a hill and the air would justblow in as it cooled in the evening and roll down hill. In the morning I actually get so much heating that hay blows back into my face when feeding the horses in the morning. THe woods clearly allowed for east to south facing.

With this coop, prevailing winds don't mean anything. It is designed and built, to face south to southeast. The real purpose of that, is to maximise sunlight into the coop. As I have stated on this thread before, I have had 30-40mph winds blow directly at the open front in the winter. Even with that, inside the coop is totally calm. No swirling winds, no dust storms, it's perfect. Full fresh air exchange, with no drafts.
Arielle and Jack must have read different versions of the book?
I guess an east opening would work to provide the fresh air with no drafts concept-with no other open windows, but you'd lose the passive solar warming.

That is the beauty of this design, with only one opening, any wind can't blow thru because there's no place for it to go! 3 sided pasture shelters work under the same concept.

Back
Top Bottom