Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
What breed and strain of birds do you have-- sorry I can't remember.

Mine are all dual purpose crosses. Red sex-link, black sex-link and a special dual purpose bird developed by the same hatchery here in Ontario.

Quote: Deep litter is where the liter starts to decompose becoming a layerdeep underneath the layer the chickens walk on and scratch in. Over time the layer builds up and you can pull back the top layer, dig out the lowest inches to toss on a garden, and pull the top layer back into place. It functions much like a compost pile.

You might look up the thread on deep litter to get the full scoop.

I did this instead of a solid floor.

Quote:

Quote: Actually the instructions allowed for an east facing. We are on a hill and the air would justblow in as it cooled in the evening and roll down hill. In the morning I actually get so much heating that hay blows back into my face when feeding the horses in the morning. THe woods clearly allowed for east to south facing.

With this coop, prevailing winds don't mean anything. It is designed and built, to face south to southeast. The real purpose of that, is to maximise sunlight into the coop. As I have stated on this thread before, I have had 30-40mph winds blow directly at the open front in the winter. Even with that, inside the coop is totally calm. No swirling winds, no dust storms, it's perfect. Full fresh air exchange, with no drafts.
Arielle and Jack must have read different versions of the book?
I guess an east opening would work to provide the fresh air with no drafts concept-with no other open windows, but you'd lose the passive solar warming.

That is the beauty of this design, with only one opening, any wind can't blow thru because there's no place for it to go! 3 sided pasture shelters work under the same concept.
I agree with you-- knowing what I know NOW, I would be willing to alter the design.

Wind only blows thru if the opposite end has an opening. I"ve been testing that theory on another small coop all winter!! lol

Deep litter is where the liter starts to decompose becoming a layerdeep underneath the layer the chickens walk on and scratch in. Over time the layer builds up and you can pull back the top layer, dig out the lowest inches to toss on a garden, and pull the top layer back into place. It functions much like a compost pile.

You might look up the thread on deep litter to get the full scoop.

I did this instead of a solid floor.
Sounds like too much work?

I will just stick to new pine shavings 4-6 inches deep every 4-6 months on a solid floor.

I think some people have too much time to think about things like this. And then to come up for a name for it. Just clean it all out and be done with it.

Its my belief that anything with the word "Method" after it was created by some that doesn't really know what they are doing. Like the community garden I belonged to. Everybody had this certain "method" they read about in a book or on the internet on how to water plants or till the soil or not till. Its real simple you dig dirt with shovel and plant seeds and spray with water and whala you have plants :)

I am a firm believer in the KISS method.

I love it. Cool shape.
love.gif

CaroleK that looks great. I can see them in the window :)

Is that just the plywood for the sides? Or tongue and groove cedar?

Is that 6' or 8' chain link? I have been thinking same thing for around mine when I don't want to let them free roam all over.

I used T1-11 4x8 sheets. I got my windows online from Home Depot. The upper are awning windows just sliders, but I'm having my builder remove the screens and put hardware cloth over them on the outside. A little rain came in a couple times on the inside ledge but it dried up quickly. The side windows set in with a handle on top and are held by two pegs. I take them out for summer. If we get a lot of heavy rain, I'll put the west one in.

I have 6' chain link, but that didn't stop them from flying over. In my previous coop and setup, I used a netting, but that filled up with snow and about caved in the chain link. I was concerned for hawks, but I haven't had trouble yet. My chickens free range, but my German Shepherd Dog takes good care of them.

CaroleK, that is a beautiful coop!! Would love to see more pics if you don't mind.

David

The last one is my first coop (8x12) which didn't work out, even with a side window, a front window and ventilation under the eaves. The chickens got frost bite, and it was frosty and damp inside. I'll use it for raising chicks.

CaroleK, thank you so much for the pics! That is a great coop you have and is a well proven design!!!
No frostbite issues with that!! Good job!

David

Back
Top Bottom