Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
Quote:
In the book I have, (Fresh air poultry houses, By Prince T Woods). There is a discussion about a scaled down house with dimentions of 6x10ft. It would look like an almost half scale version of my house. The book I have goes into great detail about the science that went into the design of these type houses. For example, sitting in the house with candles during all kinds of weather conditions, to see how the air would flow through it.

Yeah but note that he says he does not really recommend that even though it can sorta kind a work; he recommends something like 6x14 (ish) as a minimum.

Also I do not believe his drawing of his results with a candle flame. I think it is basically totally made up. Because no real-world situation would be SO beautifully even and symmetrical; also because it severely contradicts my own experience with open-front livestock housing. I mean, yes, if you have a deep enough shed with a small enough front opening it will indeed be quite sufficiently "draft free" in the back end for LIVESTOCK purposes, but it ain't "candle-flame-doesn't-waver" draft free. Remember he is quite the, ah, enthusiastic promoter of his points
wink.png

(Please do not think I am recommending against his book or that type design, quite the contrary, I just think you have to remember that nothing in his book was handed down to him on stone tablets from above as it were and there may be some points on which this book does not give quite the full story
wink.png
)

Pat

You're right about him being The "Enthusiatic promoter". That kind of made the book a fun read. When I was looking for a coop plan, I was impressed with the pictures taken in the winter. The fact that the house was put into use up in Maine, with their winters. I figured I would have no problems in Northeastern Md.

That half-monitor style was common here in the midwest in the 20's and 30's.
Now and then a broken-down survivor can still be seen on old abandoned farmsteads.
I've never seen an open front type though.

It's downfall was it's more complicated construction and higher maintenance, as compared to gable or combination type roofs.
I remember my grandfather did not like this style, but it's my favorite.

Your version of it looks nice.

spot

Last edited:
Quote:
The transom windows are opened by the curved metal straps seen in the pictures. They are just under 7ft from the floor. The metal straps have holes drilled in them. I have a nail set in the bottom of the window frame. I push open the window, then place one of the holes in the strap over the nail. The board you see at the front is just a separator. I have sand in the very front. The board contains that. Behind the board, I have pine shavings. There is no raised section in the front, the floor is all at the same level.

Quote:
The really good thing about the monitor windows, is the amount of light allowed into the coop. With the white painted interior, it really is a well lit coop. Thanks.

Im sorry I didnt make myself clear. I can see that the floor is the same level I just noticed the areas separated by the board had different depths of filler. You answered my questions and I thank you. Its a beautiful coop and I have serious envy. I think you gave me the design I want if I ever get a chance to build myself a bigger coop and expand my flock.

8x14 is the minimum size for this style from both the books I have read by T. Woods on the subject.
I really want to build one for DM.
I wonder if I can get her to spring for the extra cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your pictures and text about such a great interpretation of an open-air coop! Very impressive and a trip down nostalgia lane for me, as my Depression-era grandparents raised their flocks in such coops and always had healthy, happy birds.
smile.png

Thank you for this interesting post and the pics of this style of hen house. I'm wondering why the front is completely open all the way to the floor and not closed off at least part way up the front opening? Also, how do you think an all sand floor would work in this type of coop?

This open-air concept would be great for the South where our winters are usually mild and the NC summers are quite warm and humid, to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom