Woods Style Open Air Chicken Coops

Woods made the 10x16 wider, but I think he still kept them divided with a wall. I think I would add on and connect with a door. Then you could choose to have it connected or separate depending on needs. But would still retain the proportions necessary.

For more storage in a woods. Some could be done in a cabinet above the nest boxes. I have also been considering a few more feet off the back accessed from the outside.

Woods made the 10x16 wider, but I think he still kept them divided with a wall. I think I would add on and connect with a door. Then you could choose to have it connected or separate depending on needs. But would still retain the proportions necessary.

For more storage in a woods. Some could be done in a cabinet above the nest boxes. I have also been considering a few more feet off the back accessed from the outside.
I have though about doing storage off the back as well. Now I am actually thinking of maybe doing shelves to One side of the roost area, this way it could be used for storage or a door could be added for a brooder box. A size that could fit a Rubbermaid tub maybe. This would cut out roosting space but I like that it could have more than one purpose.

Really?! Doesn't that totally screw the proportions of width to depth?
@JackE ..I had the same question.

That is nothing like a Woods.
No, the heights and roof are definitely not. It is inside like the woods, there are six books and the windows and it is in the air. Wire goes around the outside and under the ground and the white plastic mesh was to make it less animal attractive as it sits in front of woods. Its 12 x 16 and we divded four feet for storage but keep the open wall between shed and the coop area. There are all creatures big and small around it. We started with woods and my son in law wanted the higher roof with ridge vents.

I didnt miss the point, we incorporated as many points as we could and kept the windows and roost design. Woods coops had several designs in the book. The many windows are opened most of the time but adjusted during the day with weather. With acurite we watch outside and inside temps 24/7. Ventillation and humidity and drafts have been a learning experidnce. There are no drafts in the back at the roosts and no inside condensation on windows and the birds are out all day in the run.

Its working so far with vigilence. They love the sand inside at the pop door and most sand bathe in it, as well as the sand filled tire in the run.
20171001_144636(1).jpg
20171001_144655(1).jpg

I was doing a google search for Woods house images and ran across this article/blog post.
http://www.wideopenpets.com/1924-open-front-chicken-coop-design-fresh/

Each photo has a credit link back to a BYC post.
Never seen the narrow one on wheels before.
The last one has dividers incorporated for separating birds.

The narrow one on wheels looks very similar to our Woods Mini!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-house-mini.1131864/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3d-modeling-for-coops-appliances.1146094/page-4 (go to post 31)

Do you think it would still work if I have to face mine slightly south west? I am thinking since we don't get the crazy cold winters that this may work, but don't want to build it then regret it. If we do South east there would be a big tree blocking all the light.

I think you would be okay changing the direction a little. As long as it's mostly south facing. You want the sun especially in the winter to shine onto the floor of the scratch shed portion. Just put a good sized window(s) on the side.

Do you think it would still work if I have to face mine slightly south west? I am thinking since we don't get the crazy cold winters that this may work, but don't want to build it then regret it. If we do South east there would be a big tree blocking all the light.

The coop faces to the south/southeast, to catch and maximize sunlight getting into the coop. If it faces more to the west, it will be a dark and shadowie coop for more of the day. I wouldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom