Woods Style Open Air Chicken Coops

Pics
I am making plans to build my Prince T Woods chicken coop (I just finished reading the book). I am struggling with size, I feel like the 10x16 may be too big for our yard, but not sure the 6x10 is enough space. I would like to keep between 30-40 chickens (I am planning on no mare than 30, but we all know how that goes), who have access to about a half acre fenced space to free range during the day. Also, I would like the ability to split the inside of the coop for a broody to be able to raise her chicks. They would have access to a portion (I was thinking a third) of the coop and their own covered run until they are big enough to join the others. When ready I could then either open a door or move a divider to turn the coop back into one large coop again. Also, I would like to be able to get all the chicken food and supplies out of the garage and store them with the coop, but not sure how to make this work on a woods style coop.

1. What size would you suggest?
2. Has anyone divided a coop like this for broody/grow out area? If so pictures and feedback would be great.
3. Does anyone have storage built into their coop for all their chicken supplies? If so where, and how? Again, pictures would be awesome!
4. I live near Raleigh, NC - do I need a solid covered run or just a netting over the run. On occasion they need to be kept inside the run until the hawk moves on.
5. Looking at deep litter method - pros and cons would be great.

Here is a quick overhead sketch of my thoughts. The Covered runs would match the back part of the slanted roof in woods View attachment 1237796

The more feedback, thoughts and pictures the better. Thank you all so much for your help!
I love your ideas....

Back
Top Bottom