WOOHOO First Buff Silkie egg UPDATE 3/30

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I got my first buff silkie egg yesterday afternoon.
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

They are 6 months 2 weeks old, so I wasnt expecting eggs for another 2 months or so. I guess its time to start pairing them up and starting the layer pellets.
ya.gif

Last edited:
Congrats!

I wouldn't pair them with a rooster just yet though, unless the male is nearly the same age. If your roo is mature, he may me a bit to heavy for their still developing bodies. I'm always apprehensive about injuries on young females.

Quote:
Then you're good to go! My buff pullets grew up with their male so they've been together from day one. Now hopefully it wont be long before your male is fertile and you'll be able to start hatching!!!

How old do the roosters have to be before they become fertile?

Its probably largely circumstancial. In my case my pullets started laying around October/November, whereas my Roo wasn't producing until the beginning of February. I tried AI'ing him in January but it was all clear. He is probably just now a year old, or a month shy of it, and his fertility still isn't up to speed. Its still very spotty. I've been told that Roo's dont reach FULL maturity until 18 months but I dont know how true that is.

Back
Top Bottom