Woohoo!!! First egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaceyx73, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Yep, after all the waiting, I noticed my girls first egg laying in the coop this morning when I went in to feed them. I have no idea which one of the 11 it was, but its a start. Its a nice little medium brown egg, and I do mean little. The white egg in the pic is a store bought egg listed as large, but we think they are a bit larger. Been a lot of double yolks in that 5 dozen box. I guess the ladies have a little ways to go before they start laying extra large eggs.

First egg
    Rhode Island Reds (production stock)
    Laid 12-30-10

[​IMG]

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG] Congrats ! The first one is always the most exciting!

3. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    congrats!

4. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Aint it just too cool?[​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Hoorayyy, for you so exciting. are you gonna blow it out or just eat it?

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] Congrats!

7. black_fx_35

black_fx_35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats! How old was your chick? My flock of 7 are 24 weeks old, and I am still waiting...

8. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on your first eggs!

Don't worry about the small size of the first eggs -- beginners lay small eggs. That is normal.

After a month or two, they will get to be a good size. Then after a year, they will be really big. The older the hen, the larger the eggs. Although after about a year and a half old, they cut back on the frequency that they lay eggs.

Anyway, you are soon going to be experiencing the best egg laying year of your hen's life (about 25 weeks old to about 75 weeks old for most varieties).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Congratulations. We have brown eggs too. My 1st egg was that size too. I remember the day I got my 1st one. Nov 30th. I called everyone I knew. Everyone said I was like a proud parent. I was walking on cloud 9. Congratulations again

10. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Congrats on your first egg!! Got my first one Christmas morning, so I know how exciting it was. It was my very favourite present! It is such a cute egg, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by