Woohoo! It's official!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Year of the Rooster, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    My first Non-Silkie hen has succumbed to broodiness!!! [​IMG] It's my Black Australorp girl, Audrey, who is just over 2 years old. Took her long enough [​IMG]

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Congrats!

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Got fertile eggs? under her?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Not yet. We're debating on letting her hatch since we have limited room and with winter coming up I'm not sure if the chicks will grow fast enough.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, I would let the poor thing hatch some eggs! It would be so much easier for her to take care of chicks in the winter than for YOU to brood 'em.

It's been my experience (yah, one chick so far) that the broody hatched chicks feather out faster, learn SO much more from mom, and if she starts setting on eggs tomorrow, she'll have chicks on the 26th of October, and they'll grow fast and become independant much more quickly.

Besides, if you don't let her do it NOW, what's to say she'll still be in good condition to last the incubation period well, LATER? And what if she doesn't go broody when you WANT her to, in the spring?

Think early birds, worms, and all that. (I kinda thought it was an appropriate comparison, sort of...)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I just might let her. I was just excited because all of my other broodies who have hatched and raised chicks were Silkies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by