Wool hen or wool and feather hen build

It wasn't ideal last night. They were piled pretty tight. I think the box needs to be more insulated. I don't have insulation here (at my son's apartment... I left the styrofoam cooler at my daughter's house because I didn't want to listen to the squeek for 15 hours. So, I filled water bottles with hot water, wrapped them in flour cloth towels, and press and seals, and tucked them around the wool hen. Then covered that with a puppy pad so it doesn't have crackes to get stuck in. I hope this will help them learn faster that this is the warm up area. And that it will help block the narrow sides and the loops of woll on top of the box.
I'm not going to leave it like this bacause it isnt tight to the sides... working on that.

Attachments

• 5B4ED423-10BF-42F3-946A-C3025E9176E5.jpeg
    5B4ED423-10BF-42F3-946A-C3025E9176E5.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 29
They've been pretty quite... seven out by the food and four inside, but not the same ones. They don't go in and out all that often but are sometimes. It is about half and half wandering in and out and dashing in and out.

My curiosity got the better of me, so I tried sliding my phone in to take a picture. That didn't work so I lifted to lid to see where in the box they are. They are together, leaning against the wall. I don't know it that means the wool isn't working and they are there because the water bottles are making the wall warm or if the wool is working and they just like to to be against the wall.

Attachments

• 9F767EBB-F75D-4F61-97C3-40F805093910.jpeg
    9F767EBB-F75D-4F61-97C3-40F805093910.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 29
They seem to like the wall out of the box too. Five are sleeping against it, one or two are sleeping out in the middle by themselves.

Attachments

• 8F3BA26D-620B-4B58-8916-16E7B833F3F9.jpeg
    8F3BA26D-620B-4B58-8916-16E7B833F3F9.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 25
They were all out and starting snuggle a half hour ago. I left them to see what they would do. They put themselves to bed! Or for a warm up. They were almost completely quiet anyway.
They just came back out for a snack and drink. I put my hand in the box shortly after they left it... it was decidedly warmer in there. I'll try to check after they have been out longer to see how warm it is without chick body heat.

They are doing a lot of twittering in there. I'll try for a picture. ... couldn't get much without lifting the lid so the angle is a bit wonky. They were a little concerned about the lid lifting but not much. I've been trying to do something new often... going just a little new so it doesn't stress them to have a new thing happen.
Oh, And When I replaced the hot water bottles, I made two sets of two without the towels - just the press and seal. And put them half on the top/sides. Then put a couple of the flour cloth towels folded on the lid. That isn't the best insulation but it is available.

Attachments

• F65B6817-101C-42FB-BCC8-526F97E87AB8.jpeg
    F65B6817-101C-42FB-BCC8-526F97E87AB8.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 23
They were very quiet all night. I heard a few questioning chirps about fifteen minutes ago so I turned more lights on, gradually brightening their space. Based on the location of their messes, they stayed in the wool hen all night.

They seem comfortable even though the hot water bottles around the wool hen are room temperature. They rushed the food and water, but after ten minutes of breakfast, they are spread out and grooming.

Attachments

• 58CCBE62-020F-4A29-8E7D-077438BE07FF.jpeg
    58CCBE62-020F-4A29-8E7D-077438BE07FF.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 6D17584B-AB82-4F17-B11D-C04512948341.jpeg
    6D17584B-AB82-4F17-B11D-C04512948341.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 18
This is from this afternoon; they are seven days old and doing very well. This morning, I noticed their tail feathers just peaking through their down. I haven't seen the least bit of pasty butt or other signs of stress or illness. They don't need the water bottles anymore. They have two desk lamps shining in during the day for light but they give a little heat, too.

They are in a movers box (garment size) in the basement... hopefully for only one more night because they need more room and I want them looking at the outdoors rather than box wall. They are starting to fly and love to run from one end to the other when I take their wool hen, feeder, and waterer out to clean their box.

It was not the experiment I thought I was going to do, which was brood them outside with just the wool hen for warmth. I still think that is (almost) doable but it needs a lot more fine tuning of the wool hen then I could do this time. The (almost) is because I would put some sort of heat around or in the wool hen for the first day or so - so they feel warmth as soon as they go in with the wool strips - until they learn that is where to go for warmth. The hot water bottles I used worked well for that.

I would do it again. I spent a LOT of time observing and adjusting in the first couple of days. I expect the method will need that at least until more people do it so a good protocol is established... maybe less time for people with enough experience raising chicks.

🙂

Attachments

• AA2CE927-CFC8-4542-8CE4-EC95421EADA4.jpeg
    AA2CE927-CFC8-4542-8CE4-EC95421EADA4.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 22
Mine will be outside, but by the time they get here the temps will be much warmer, so I will really only be worried about night. The amish around here always get chicks late in the spring/ early summer when they order and they don't brood indoors like we would. They get more than what I will have, so they would have extra heat with all the little bodies. But, with this thread (pointing to others) and the few videos I've found, I've got a good idea of how to keep them all happy, healthy, and warm. If all else fails - I will just set up a regular brooder in my husband's building. :D

Glad to hear your chickies are doing well. Keep updating, I've got a few weeks to figure this all out! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom