Wooo--oooh Got My 1st Egg Today!!! :-) Edible???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shell25, Mar 5, 2011.

1. shell25

shell25 Chirping

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Really strange my 2 pullets are nearly 7 month old, and today whilst out free ranging one of them layed an egg at the top of our garden steps, really excited!!

Is the 1st egg safe to eat as a remember reading somewhere that you should not eat either first egg, or the first weeks worth of eggs???

Can anyone answer this.

Many Thanks

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:heck no fry that sucker up and enjoy

the only time most folks dont use first eggs is for incubating--the pullet eggs are much smaller and less likely to be the "best" choice for hatching
    Also, after worming or on meds-10-14 day time frame where it is heavily suggested not to eat or sell or incubate

ANJOY!!!! [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have no idea where the saying of "don't eat your chickens' first eggs" came from, but I'd like to smack the person that started it. [​IMG] Cook up that egg and enjoy- it'll be delicious!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Yay for your first egg!!!! [​IMG] First eggs taste the BEST!!!

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:and they're the most expensive--ENJOY IT!

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yup eat it. I have to agree with the other posters, the first one tastes the best and is the most expensive. I figure my first egg cost $2000 but the rest are free! [​IMG] Congrats on the first egg! So exciting!

8. geeber

geeber Songster

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    And dont forget to take photos. Post them up here. We've all done it. That first egg is the most amazing. & tastes the best!

9. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Congrats! I have found that each of my girls 1st eggs containes a small blood spot.....I just scooped it out with a spoon before cooking. Absolutlely delicious.....NEVER GOING BACK!!!!

10. ivymae

ivymae In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I got my first egg ever last weekend, and my husband and I deviled it and ate it that night. Enjoy it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: