1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wooohooo! My first chicken egg :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by t4dbirds, Sep 14, 2010.

1. t4dbirds

t4dbirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    One of my bantams (Poppy) laid her first egg yesterday! I wasn't sure what was going on and apparently neither was she [​IMG] I heard a fearsome ruckus and looked out the door to see my girls trying to run for my back door. At first I thought maybe Raccoons were near or an eagle, so I open the door and they both shot into their overnight coop. (I don't have one built for outside yet). Then they continued to make a ruckus so I left them in the crate to calm down. About an hour later, I went over to see if they wanted back out as they had quitted down. Low and behold there was an egg!!!!

Couldn't believe my eyes. 1 cute peach egg. It's the one on the left next to a small duck egg. Now I have a question?? Will she lay everyday or does it take some time before she becomes consistent? I can't wait for her sister (who is a frizzle) to start laying too!

[​IMG] The proud owner of egg [​IMG]

2. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They may be inconsistent for some weeks, but more consistent over time. Never an exact science. Congrats on the egg! I'm on week 22 1/2 now with 4 EE's and 2 BR's and no eggs. [​IMG]

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] Congrats!! on the eggie [​IMG]

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It often takes awhile before you consistently get eggs. Sometimes an egg a day for awhile, and then a few days off.

5. t4dbirds

t4dbirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks! I wasn't even expecting her to start laying so soon. I thought it would. Be a few more months. Now I'm waiting on my frizzle to lay [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by