WoooooHoooooo......another one!

Yes, i remember evacuating 12 on my own in 2003.
The horses were in a paddock with mine and the fire was 20 minutes away, if that.
I just went through the roadblock and the policewoman gave me her blessing when i told her what i was doing.
She said " if they were my horses, id want someone to rescue them, go for it, and ill pick you up in the car shortly"
I had 3 on each side of me, using thick string, and ropes and halters around their necks. it was really easy as they were all gathered in a bunch near the gate wanting to get out. they were so calm for me. not a hiccup. I wasnt scared of them as my adrenalin had kicked in and i didnt want them to die. anyhow i led them over a BRIDGE without dramas to a short grassed paddock and set them free and ran back for the other 6, I just got them in and the police car came flying up the road with lights on and she said, "quick get in"
Im glad she came as I would have been stuck, the fire would definately caught me but i was lucky cause I couldnt see how close the fire was because of the smoke.
She took me to the hospital after I watched the fire go through and the horses apppeared once the smoke had gone, all safe, yippee.
I spent the afternoon in casualty ER, on oxygen surrounded by firefighters also on oxygen.
The other horse owners were all away on vacation.
I recd lots of flowers from them.
Sorry, i just had to write this when i saw the bit about the horses over there.

I love picking up the eggs when they are warm! Little kids are always amazed that the egg is warm! Our D'Uccles have never been super good layers...maybe 3 or 4 a week is a good week.

Back
Top Bottom