WOOT! - Now is the time! (day 19) Newbie (need some love)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BreakinTheLaw, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BreakinTheLaw

BreakinTheLaw New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    Morning Y'all. Just started day 19 a little skiddish = this is my first hatch EVER and I'm nervous as all get-up. I didn't know what I was doing when I started but I've been reading the entire forum over the last three weeks and bought three books and darn-it I'm ready! (but still nervous) :|

I got 15 RIR eggs from up the road (from a very reputable source) so I have no reason to doubt quality eggs. For sake of argument, any chix that don't hatch were either non-fertile or mishandled on my part.

Based on candling I expected:

DAY 7: 10 "solids" (with correct air void size), three "scrambled" (it looks like the bird died early on), one uniformly "murky/spotty" egg (it just LOOKS bad), and one unfertilized "grocer" (it looks like a food-grade egg when candled).

Day 14: results were the same but I could no longer see anything thru the dark egg shell.. is this normal? Even at day 7 most of the "solids" were very dark and heavy. Is it possible that my chix started early and I missed the early stages by candling a couple days too late? I had hoped that was the case and that my "solids" were merely developed further than I had anticipated.

Well, at day 18 (last night) I the day 18 thang [​IMG] I added more water and stopped turning etc... I candled one last time and all the eggs were consistent with day 14 results. I talked to each of the eggs as I candled them. I did only a short candle, but wanted to make sure I didn't have any "exploding eggs" over the weekend.

ANYHOW..... just about 10 hours later two of the eggs have small openings. That's right, I'm talkin bout pippin' (I think). I slept in (just woke up) and put the flashlight in the bator and YUP - small chips out of the egg.. WOOT!

GIVE ME SOME LOVE FOLKS. How bout a couple of those guys with the fingers crossed and a couple WOOTS to cheer my little guys on.

I LOVE THIS FORUM. I'm going to be posting a lot over the next 12 weeks [​IMG]

- Herman

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Woot, woot, woot ! ! !

How's that?

3. BreakinTheLaw

BreakinTheLaw New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    Yeah thanks... I needed that.

4. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    [​IMG] sending good vibes your way...
    on day 18 here!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good luck !!! keep us updated !!!!!

6. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Best of luck on the hatch and can't wait to see pics!! [​IMG]

7. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Woot Woot Woot [​IMG] Good Luck!!!!!

8. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Sending good luck your way!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. BreakinTheLaw

BreakinTheLaw New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    12 hours later - I have 4 eggs pipping and I heard a chirp just a minute ago. I nearly fainted! ha.

How long does a chick take from pip to hatch? I know some chicks are slower than others but when do I get nervous? (YES - I'm an anxious person!)

Oh yeah, it is funny to finally literally apply "don't count your chickens before they hatch." As an engineer I'm cautiously optimistic. And trying hard to stay that way :| [​IMG] :|

C'MON LITTLE CHIX.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hoping I have pics to show!

10. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    goooood luck and happy hatching hope u get a buncha biddies fo sho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by