Words of comfort needed

3LilChickadees

Chirping
Oct 19, 2020
Middle Tennessee
My sensitive 5th grader received 29 chicks from 4H: 12 barred rock, 12 black sex link, 4 white leghorns, and 1 black rooster that is one of the two black breeds. We've had them for 2 days and we have lost 2 chicks.

They shipped from TX on Tuesday. We were expecting them to be delivered here in TN Wednesday morning, but the post office did not get them to 4H until Thursday morning. By the time we picked ours up they had been given sugar water and all appeared healthy and active. By that evening, we lost one barred rock. Using a heat plate we weren't able to observe their behavior as easily.

The next morning we did make sure to observe their behavior and identified 2 more that were lethargic or clumsy- one white leghorn and one black sex link. We put them in a separate brooder with access to sugar water. Not sure what to do, we called the 4H advisor and tried not to handle the chicks. We didn't get a call back, so by evening we decided to start dipping the weakest chick's beak in water to encourage her to drink. Not sure if it was too little too late or just the wrong thing, but the white leghorn didn't survive the night.

The other chick seems to be doing fine and is back with the others.

After a day of watching and nursing the chick, my daughter got really attached - even named her. I know it's not unusual to lose one or two chicks, but she's taking it hard. Words of comfort and encouragement would be appreciated!

I just lost a chick this morning, as well. I got her from a feed store yesterday and tried to nurse her back to health, but she didn't thrive. But she got a fighting chance. Try not to take it too hard. I know what it's like to lose an animal that you love. Keep an eye on the other birds. If someone looks lathargic, start dipping their beak in water right away. You don't need to wait. Good luck with the rest of them!!

I, too, have a sensitive 5th grader! She wrote a list of names for each chick minutes after we came home and became very attached. We prefaced this adventure with a warning that some chicks don't make it, but it's different experiencing it rather than just hearing it (especially for children).

We lost a BR chick on our second day. We tried so hard to nurse her back but it happened quickly.

I will say that this happened Tuesday and now, she is just so excited to see the healthy chicks existing happily. It takes time to process. I know what helped my daughter was to have her help with the small daily chores and keep her engaged with their growth!
We've been watching their tail feathers emerge and chatting about all the neat things to come.

I, too, have a sensitive 5th grader! She wrote a list of names for each chick minutes after we came home and became very attached. We prefaced this adventure with a warning that some chicks don't make it, but it's different experiencing it rather than just hearing it (especially for children).
My girls didn't even wait to get them home! They have a list of potential names hanging in one of their rooms. So far they have assigned names to the rooster, the 3 white leghorns, and the two sickly chicks. The one that died is buried next to her pet fish. The other sickly chick is strong enough now and has no distinguishing features, so we can't even tell which one she is. A week in, and our surviving chicks seem to be doing well.

Thank you all for your words of support. My daughter has found comfort in them.

Back
Top Bottom