Work on the new coop is comming along! Updated Pics added!!

jenlynn4

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
PA
I know it will be slow going beacuse its only me and hubby working on it, and I only have 2 days off a week but I hope I can get it done fast! I only have 20 days left before the birds have to be moved. I've got a good amount of FREE wood from my brother (he works at a place that makes pallets and crates from wood) so far (about half of what I need) and I am going to try to get more tomorrow. I have enough to frame out the floor and the end walls. I need to go get my permitts and level the ground today. I want to get a load of white rocks to put down as my foundation and the the work will begin! Wish me luck! Its going to be 8x16 foot and I scored some free windows from freecycle that I am also going to pick up today! I hope it turns out nice! I'll try to take some pics as I go allong.
big_smile.png
JEN

Last edited:
STEP ONE IS DONE!!! I just got back from the township and I have my permitts! Cost me 50 bucks but heay, they gotta get our money somehow. LOL

kool you got the permitts to start your henhouse.you do know your henhouse will hold 42 chickens.will that be enough hens for you.

Have fun building your hen house!
smile.png

I can't believe you had to actually get a permit for a hen house? Do they come and do a building inspection at some point as well? Can you build to proper standards using pallet material? Do you need an electrical permit if you run power for lights to it?

I always figured any outbuildings other than a barn, workshop, or a garage, were classed as nothing more than a garden shed. As long as the set-back from the property line was proper, I wouldn't think the municipality would even care. The set back normally wouldn't even be a problem, but if you have a picky neighbor, who might complain. Rules and regulations....
roll.png

Very cool Jen- we are excitted for you and for your chickens! Hope to see some pics soon.

Hmmm.....permits? What are those? LOL Just kidding

Last edited by a moderator:
Its is classified as a garden shed, but I dont trust old uncle sam any more since he decided after almost 6 years that I have to move my birds in the first place! So I am not taking any chances this time. All they said is that it had to be 10 ft. from any property line and 30 ft from the road. And OMG you should see the windows I got! There SOOO nice. One is HUGE and they are both thermal pain with screens. I am stoked and the best thing is that they were FREE! And Just to clarify, My brother works at a lumber yard that makes Industrial Pallets. Not the little ones that you commonly see. They use full size 2x4's and I get the ones that have bits of bark on them. LOL A little bark never hurt anyone if you ask me. Its usually only on one of the corners. I will get some pics tomorrow. It ended up being thunderstorms here today so I didnt get much done. I am hoping for better weather tomorrow. JEN

Ooh, I love those huge pallets! Some of my roost bars are made from one of those-they're like well rounded 2x4's, very nice and perfect for the comfort of the birds' feet, too. Good luck, Jen, can't wait to see it!

I forgot the camera today so I will have to take pics tomorrow, but we got the floors framed out today. My dad said he would build the walls tomorrow while I am at work. That was nice of him. We are going to Pre fab the floor and the walls and then just put them together like a puzzle when we are ready to put it all up. We are doing it that way becuase its raining so much here now. That was the only way we could think of to stay dry. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. JEN

Last edited:
OK I finally got some pics today! We have the floor frames done and the frames for the front and back walls. My dad put the large window right in the frame before we assemble it because he said it would be easier. We are building it in 2 8 foot x 8 foot sections and we will bolt them together to make 1 8x16 foot coop. I cant wait to get it put together! Here are the pics so far (they dont look like much yet)

1 of the 8x8 floor frames:
chickencoop002.jpg

These are the walls and the other floor all stacked together:
chickencoop004.jpg

Here is the large window:
chickencoop003.jpg

and this is the smaller window that will go on one of the end walls:
chickencoop005.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom