Working with hardware cloth...

we3ernes

Songster
10 Years
Jan 2, 2013
China Spring, Texas
What tools do you use when working with hardware cloth? Aside from the obvious - leather gloves, tin snips - was there anything you found particularly helpful? Getting ready to build my brooder.

I know this has been posted before, but I wanted to ask @aart specifically about a tool in her media page - the tinner’s seamer. Did you find that folding the hardware cloth at the ends was the best way to deal with sharp edges? Or did you do it for another reason, maybe to strengthen the edges?

Anyone else with a lot of experience who wants to chime in?

I know this has been posted before, but I wanted to ask @aart specifically about a tool in her media page - the tinner’s seamer. Did you find that folding the hardware cloth at the ends was the best way to deal with sharp edges? Or did you do it for another reason, maybe to strengthen the edges?
Yes, both...well worth the time it takes to employ it, IMO.
Working the HC on a big flat hard(garage floor here) surface really helps too.
I was working with 4' x 50' rolls, easier to roll out and cut to length there.

Place the hardware cloth 'curl down' on your frame. I learned that the hard way after my first panel. I had a better time without gloves. All I used was snips and a tape. I'll have to check out the tinner's seamer.

Last edited:
Small diagonal cutters work better than tin snips. The closer the wire is to the pivot the easier it is to cut. These are used to snip electrical wire.

08794-03-L.jpg

Small diagonal cutters work better than tin snips. The closer the wire is to the pivot the easier it is to cut. These are used to snip electrical wire.

08794-03-L.jpg

I like these type small cutters also. And ones that spring back open after each cut are especially helpful!

Back
Top Bottom