Working with the yellow box of death

anitazoechang

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2022
Hi everyone!
I've recently incubated my first/second batches of eggs but wanted to do a bit of troubleshooting/verification around my process and see if the deaths I got was user or seller error.

I purchased 6 French wheaten maran chicks and began incubating them in a Janoel 12 borrowed from a friend. I incubated them in this incubator for about 6 days before I received my "yellow box of death" incubator from Catch. I let the yellow incubator run for a day with my own thermometer (used a second thermometer to validate) and hygrometer set up to see how it worked and ensured that the temperature was stable. I continued using the thermometer and hygrometer to monitor the temp/humidity throughout the entirety of incubation. I then moved my FW maran eggs into the yellow incubator, along with 36 olive egger eggs purchased off of Facebook, to incubate away. I had the eggs sitting at 37.8°C and 55% humidity before bumping it up to 65% humidity during lockdown on day 18 (FW marans were moved back into the Janoel for lockdown).

All of the FW marans hatched bang on time (6/6), however, I ran into significant issues with the OE. Of the 36, only 7 successfully hatched, of which one was stuck and had to be helped out of the egg. I have a two main theories around why things may have worked out this way – would love to hear what you all think.

Theory 1: the FW marans were sufficiently developed before I put them into the yellow incubator, and the yellow incubator itself is responsible for the poor hatch in the OE (fluctuating temp/humidity that I didn't pick up on using my own thermometer and hygrometer)
Theory 2: dud OE eggs. The 36 I picked up off of Facebook had some air sacs that were on the side of the egg (storage issue?) and the person said they needed a week to collect enough eggs to sell me a dozen, however, changed this story and sold me 36 eggs two days after enquiring. One third (12/36) of the eggs weren't fertile and of the remaining 24, I think maybe 6 died between the start of incubation and lockdown, leaving 18 eggs that could've hatched. I cracked open all the eggs that didn't hatch on day 26 and they all appeared to be perfectly formed chicks that simply just never hatched.

I'd love to nail down what might've happened with the fully formed chicks that never hatched so I can avoid making the same mistake in the future. I've heard that using older eggs that weren't stored properly could impact on hatch rate, could this have been the case with the OE? Is my own thermometer and hygrometer enough to continue using the yellow incubator in the future? The incubator was placed in my basement where the temperature doesn't fluctuate a great deal.

Thanks in advance!!

Hey,
I have 2 incubators and one of them happens to be the same yellow top one you have. Yes, plenty of people have labelled them murder boxes, but, I haven't had any issues with mine consistently hatch 90%+ (of my own eggs) .
From the information you have provided I'd say it's the eggs that were the issue not the inky.
One thing I like to think is for every negative review online there is probably 2x or more people with positive experiences that haven't bothered reviewing, seems alot of people only post negative experiences.
Anyhow using your independent thermometer and hygrometer are you able to hatch another trial batch? I usually run a couple of batches through before blaming the incubator... as usually my first hatch is terrible until I figure it out, no mine aren't expensive inky they are what we can afford and we've taken the time to figure them out and often get 100% hatch rates 🙂 but that's just me.

Hey,
I have 2 incubators and one of them happens to be the same yellow top one you have. Yes, plenty of people have labelled them murder boxes, but, I haven't had any issues with mine consistently hatch 90%+ (of my own eggs) .
From the information you have provided I'd say it's the eggs that were the issue not the inky.
One thing I like to think is for every negative review online there is probably 2x or more people with positive experiences that haven't bothered reviewing, seems alot of people only post negative experiences.
Anyhow using your independent thermometer and hygrometer are you able to hatch another trial batch? I usually run a couple of batches through before blaming the incubator... as usually my first hatch is terrible until I figure it out, no mine aren't expensive inky they are what we can afford and we've taken the time to figure them out and often get 100% hatch rates 🙂 but that's just me.
Yay so glad to hear you've had success with the same incubator!! I'll give a new batch another crack! Was feeling a bit apprehensive about potentially subjecting another batch to certain death :/ will let you know how I go :)

I don’t use that incubator and haven’t incubated chickens just ducks
But I don’t even run my ducks that high of humidity during incubation
I do 45 till lockdown then up to 65
Wondering if your higher humidity could have played a roll ?
I have read lots chickens should be a lower humidity then ducks and have seen many posts of 30-40 humidity
Again I don’t do chickens so I could be wrong. Just trying to help you get it figured out
As for the bad air cells this could cause some issues but many still hatch with bad ones. Could Also be how she stored them and what temp they were kept in
They say anything past 10-14 days tops and it’s less likely they will develop but that’s usually even starting so for them to make it to the end makes me think that probably wasn’t the issue
I would give it another try

Since you opened the eggs I'll include these links. They may help you interpret what you saw.

Incubation Troubleshooting - Incubation and Embryology - University of Illinois Extension

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies (ucanr.edu)

Since the Marans eggs hatched fine and the problem was all with the others you have to think the difference is in the eggs or in the way they were handled before you got them. I assume they were handled the same by you. Since all six Marans hatched I have trouble faulting the incubator.

Yay so glad to hear you've had success with the same incubator!! I'll give a new batch another crack! Was feeling a bit apprehensive about potentially subjecting another batch to certain death :/ will let you know how I go :)
I do agree with other posters about your humidity... I run mine no higher than 35-40% RH for the first 18 days (mine usually sits at the 30% mark, but, there are so many variables with RH in your climate zone) then bump it up to 65% for lockdown. You will find what works for you

Back
Top Bottom